Pakistani tied to failed Times Square bombing deportedMay 23rd, 2011 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 23 (IANS) US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has deported a Pakistani man arrested during the investigation last year into the failed Times Square bombing after he pleaded guilty in federal court to fraud charges.
Aftab Ali Khan, 28, had been in federal custody since May 2010 when he, his uncle and another Pakistani American were arrested after the failed attempt to bomb New York’s Times Square May 1, 2010.
He pleaded guilty to charges of unlicensed money transmitting and immigration document fraud.
US District Court Judge Denise J. Casper sentenced Khan to 11 months time served and three years of supervised release and then was ordered into the custody of ICE for deportation proceedings.
After the attempted bombing, investigators obtained evidence that Khan provided $4,900 to Faisal Shahzad who was later convicted of the failed attack.
Khan borrowed the money and transferred it to Shahzad in February 2010 as part of a “hawala” transaction in which Khan’s family received an equivalent amount of money in Pakistan.
Shahzad, 30, a naturalised US citizen born in Pakistan, was sentenced in October to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Court records show he had sought to “wreak death and destruction” with a bomb he placed in a car he parked May 1, 2010, in Times Square.
- NY money faciltator in Times Square bombing attempt arrested - Sep 16, 2010
- Times Square bomber sentenced to life - Oct 05, 2010
- Pakistani bomb-maker scoured New York for targets (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Times Square plotter 'planned second bomb attack' - Sep 30, 2010
- Pak acknowledges failed Times Square bomber met Taliban chief - Jul 26, 2010
- Taliban chief met man who tried to bomb Times Square - Jul 23, 2010
- Failed Times Square bomber seen hugging TTP chief Hakeemullah in latest video - Jul 23, 2010
- Times Square plotter says he planned second strike - Sep 30, 2010
- Shahzad pleads guilty, warns of more attacks (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Faisal Shahzad Pleads Guilty In The Times Square Car Bomb Case - Jun 22, 2010
- Life term for Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad (Second Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Man linked to Times Square bomb plot had Shahzad's phone number - May 21, 2010
- Times Square bombing suspect pleads guilty - Jun 22, 2010
- Life term for Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad (Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Pakistani-American indicted in Times Square car bomb attempt (Lead) - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: ali khan, amount of money, casper, court records, death and destruction, deportation proceedings, district court judge, document fraud, faisal, federal custody, fraud charges, immigration and customs enforcement, life in prison, may 1, pakistani man, shahzad, supervised release, times square, us district court, us immigration and customs enforcement