Pakistani Sikh from tribal area killed by suspected terroristsNovember 25th, 2008 - 1:32 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Nov 25 (IANS) A Sikh faith healer from a tribal area in Pakistan bordering Afghanistan was kidnapped and killed some hours later, two days after a threatening call asking him to avoid contact with government officials, family sources said Tuesday. Zael Singh was kidnapped early Monday morning from Peshawar’s Tajabad area where he had gone to buy herbs to make medicine and his body was found from Jamrud in Khyber agency in the evening, said police and family sources.
Militants may have killed him on suspicion that he was providing information about them, a relative said.
“He received a threatening call on Friday to avoid contact with the government officials and was kidnapped from Peshawar where he went to buy some herbs to make medicines,” he told IANS requesting anonymity.
This is the first incident of any Sikh in the tribal area being killed in a suspected terrorism related incident. More than 20,000 Sikhs live in Khyber Agency, they speak Pashtu and identify themselves as Pakhtoons.
The Sikhs in the area have been living there for centuries.
“We never face any difficulty and have never been a target on the basis of religion… I can’t say if this was related to terrorism,” Balwant Singh Afridi, a leading businessman in Khyber Agency, told IANS.
In the past, he said, several people from their religion have been killed or kidnapped but the motive was personal.
“Kidnapping is not new in tribal areas but if this murder is related to terrorism we need to secure ourselves,” Balwant said.
Taliban have killed several people since their emergence in the tribal areas and bordering Afghanistan on suspicion of spying for the government agencies.
Many Sikh families moved to tribal areas from undivided Punjab when Ranjit Singh expanded his empire to Khyber in early 19th century.
- 20 killed, 40 injured in Pakistan blast - Jan 10, 2012
- One dead in Pakistan blast - Feb 15, 2012
- Pakistan Taliban claim responsibility for blast (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Three killed, 20 hurt in Pakistan bombing - Apr 29, 2012
- 29 killed in Pakistan market blast (Second Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Six die in Pakistan bombing (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- 51 killed in US drone attacks in Pakistan - Dec 18, 2010
- Two British men believed to be kidnapped in Pakistan - Jan 12, 2011
- Six government militiamen killed in Pakistan - Nov 16, 2011
- Two Sikhs kidnapped in Pakistan rescued - Mar 01, 2010
- Did abducted Sikh youths 'escape' Taliban's captivity or 'rescued' by Pak military? - Mar 02, 2010
- 2 NATO tankers destroyed by militants in Pakistan - Dec 20, 2010
- Beheading of Sikh in Pakistan condemned in India (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- UN chief condemns Pakistan mosque suicide attack - Aug 20, 2011
- Assassin on death row wants to be baptized a Sikh - Dec 05, 2010