Pakistani militants gaining ground in NWFP restive areasNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:48 am ICT by admin
“This is happening in Swat and Dera Ismail Khan and Bannu. Where the police are intimidated the militants have greater freedom to roam,” a Western diplomat was quoted, as saying.
Tank, a town on the edge of the tribal area of South Waziristan,has fallen under the sway of a pro-Taliban commander from South Waziristan, Baitullah Mehsud, whose men last week killed three soldiers from a group of 248 they had captured last month.
An army division was deployed to the district two months ago to stem Baitullah’s influence expanding into the neighbouring town of Dera Ismail Khan.
A senior government official said that traditional councils had been undermined by military action and Gen Musharraf’s reforms had taken away the power of administrators in the settled areas.
The government control over the district is tenuous. Last week a teenager, Sohail Zeb, was sentenced to 24 years in jail after being found in Tank with two suicide belts. Now Baitullah has demanded his release as part of negotiations over the fate of the 200 captured soldiers.
More alarming for Tank’s prospects is that militants, who belong to the hardline Sunni Deobandi sect, have reignited vicious sectarianism.
Baitullah’s powerful right-hand man, Qari Hussain, belongs to Sipah-i-Sahaba, a sectarian group with links to intelligence agencies that targets Shia Muslims.
A paramilitary soldier who had been captured by Baitullah’s men was beheaded after he was singled out as a Shia.
Pakistani soldiers backed by helicopter gunships killed 48 pro-Taliban militants but lost 20 of their men during fierce fighting near Mir Ali, North Waziristan, on Saturday. (ANI)
- Pak Taliban abduct, to punish 23 Mehsud tribesmen for meeting Gen Kayani - Dec 28, 2010
- Taliban tenacity, ineffective governance negating Pak army gains in S.Waziristan - Nov 20, 2010
- Pakistan arrests pro-government militia leader - Sep 19, 2009
- Pakistan starts offensive against Taliban, Al Qaeda (Lead) - Oct 17, 2009
- Thousands flee as Pakistan hits militant stronghold - Sep 24, 2009
- Seven suspected militants killed in US missile strikes in North Waziristan - Sep 04, 2010
- Pakistan Taliban kill five soldiers - Oct 15, 2010
- Militants kill 8 and kidnap several others in northwest Pakistan - Mar 25, 2011
- Roadside bomb kills two soldiers in Pakistan - Sep 07, 2009
- Three soldiers killed in Pakistan - Feb 26, 2012
- Pak soldier killed in border clash with Afghan troops - Feb 03, 2011
- Eight militants killed in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
- Sectarian clashes, militant violence kill 43 in Pakistan - Jul 01, 2009
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
- Pak Taliban releases 23 tribesmen it abducted for meeting army chief - Jan 01, 2011