Pakistani heart surgeon reveals details of Diana romanceMarch 4th, 2008 - 2:59 am ICT by admin
London, March 4 (DPA) A Pakistani heart surgeon who had a two-year affair with the late Princess Diana has told the inquest into her death that they had discussed - but dismissed - the idea of marriage after they met at a London clinic in 1995. Hasnat Khan, who refused to give direct evidence via video-link, said in a written statement to the inquest that the couple believed getting married would “make his life hell”.
Diana’s divorce from Prince Charles, heir to the throne, was finalized in 1996.
Khan, who returned to Pakistan last year, also said that, contrary to media reports, it was Diana - and not he - who ended the relationship a few weeks before Diana’s death in August 1997.
Because of his relationship with Diana, he had received anonymous threatening letters containing cutout pictures of him with a noose around his neck, reported Khan.
He described his relationship with the princess as a “normal one”. They had visited pubs and nightclubs together, with Diana once donning a black wig to conceal her identity.
During a visit to a pub, Diana had once insisted that she should order the drinks at the bar “because it was something she had never done”.
He had visited Diana often at Kensington Palace, her London residence, and frequently met her two sons, the princes William and Harry, whom she wanted to “know what was going on in her life”.
The couple broke up in 1997, shortly before Diana was killed in a car crash in Paris with her lover, Dodi al Fayed.
Khan said he believed the crash was a “tragic accident”, although he was “surprised” that Diana did not wear a seat belt on the night of her death.
Dodi’s father, Mohammed al Fayed, maintains that Diana and his son were murdered in a secret service plot backed by senior royals because the princess was pregnant with Dodi’s child.
The surgeon said he thought it “unlikely” that Diana would have married Dodi al Fayed after knowing him for only a few weeks.
She would have taken time to think things through very carefully, he said.
Khan said he would be “very surprised” if Diana was pregnant by Dodi - as suggested by his father - because she had always been very particular about taking contraceptive pills.
“Had she been pregnant, she would definitely have told somebody,” said Khan.
“I think she would have kept the baby, had that been the case,” he added.
On the question of marriage, Khan said the couple agreed that he would not be able to lead a normal life and, if they had children, he would not be able to take them anywhere.
“My life would become hell because of who she was,” he said in his statement.
- `Princess Diana died as attempt to scare her went wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- 'Diana died after plan to frighten her into leaving lover went horribly wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- Tony Blair 'worried for Princess Di' when she started dating Dodi Fayed - Sep 03, 2010
- New book tells story if Diana had not died in car crash - Jan 06, 2011
- '500 pieces of crucial evidence withheld in Princess Diana inquest' - Aug 07, 2010
- Princess Di's driver's blood test 'wasn't verified' - Aug 09, 2010
- Mohamed al-Fayed claims he torched Harrods' royal warrants - Aug 23, 2010
- Chauffeur behind Princess Di's death was 'framed as a drunk driver' - May 20, 2010
- Di's death was not an accident, says leading lawyer - Sep 02, 2009
- Princess Diana's life to be made into a movie - Feb 06, 2012
- Princess Diana, Dodi Fayed memorials to be removed from Harrods? - Aug 15, 2010
- Princess Di's doc lover set to marry colleague - Nov 23, 2009
- Letter on Di's fears of being killed withheld by senior police officers - Sep 26, 2009
- 'Di was murdered because she planned to expose UK's role in arms trade' - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: car crash, direct evidence, hasnat khan, heart surgeon, heir to the throne, inquest, kensington palace, life hell, london clinic, london march, london residence, mohammed al fayed, prince charles, princes william and harry, princess diana, pubs and nightclubs, s child, seat belt, tragic accident, video link