Pakistani forces kill 24 militants in tribal areaApril 20th, 2009 - 11:23 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 20 (DPA) Twenty-two Taliban militants and two civilians were killed as Pakistani security forces carried out aerial and artillery strikes in two districts of the country’s lawless tribal region, officials and residents said Monday.
Pakistani jets and helicopters started targeting locations of Islamist insurgents in Orakzai tribal district Sunday, and continued the strikes by Monday noon.
“The security forces have destroyed several hideouts of militants in three areas. According to the information we have received from local sources, 22 militants have been killed and more than a dozen are injured,” said a local intelligence official requesting anonymity.
The strikes began a day after a car suicide bomber attacked a military check post and convoy, killing 25 security personnel and two civilians.
Taliban militants based in Orakzai district claimed the responsibility of the Saturday’s strike that also injured more than 60 people.
A spokesman of the militants said such suicide bombings will continue till Pakistan tells US to stop missile attacks by pilotless drone aircraft, which have killed dozens of second-tier Al Qaeda leaders and Taliban fighters.
On Sunday, another similar drone strike left three suspected militants dead in tribal district of South Waziristan, which borders Orakzai, resulting into skirmishes between the rebels and Pakistani security forces.
The troops targeted militant’s positions with artillery fire. The militants’ casualties were not known but the residents said some strayed shells fell on a house and killed a couple and injured their three children.
“The mortar shells severely damaged the house which belonged to Mohammad Zaman,” said a local Sakhee Mohammad over phone. Four soldiers were also injured in the running gun battles.
- 21 Taliban militants killed in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Mar 24, 2010
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
- 13 die in drone strike in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Eight militants killed in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
- 6 injured in rocket attack at Pakistani governor's meet - Oct 11, 2011
- Suspected US drone strikes kill at least 29 in Pakistan - Feb 03, 2010
- 23 Taliban militants killed by Pak security forces in Orakzai - Apr 12, 2010
- Six soldiers, 25 militants killed in Pakistan clashes (Lead) - Mar 31, 2010
- 25 extremists killed in FATA as Pak forces continue to pound militant hideouts - Apr 17, 2010
- Five soldiers, 21 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 26, 2010
- US drone attack kills eight militants in Pakistan - Sep 14, 2010
- US drone attack kills 11 militants in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- 18 killed in Pakistan drone attacks (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- 22 militants killed in Pakistan - Jul 11, 2010
- Pakistani fighter jets pound FATA, 12 Taliban killed - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: anonymity, artillery fire, convoy, drone aircraft, gun battles, hideouts, intelligence official, militants, missile attacks, mohammad zaman, mortar shells, running gun, security forces, security personnel, skirmishes, south waziristan, suicide bomber, suicide bombings, taliban fighters, tribal area