Pakistani army chief Kayani to visit USFebruary 10th, 2009 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 10 (IANS) Pakistani Army chief Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani will visit the US later this month at a time when the Obama administration is reviewing Washington’s policy towards his country and neighbouring Afghanistan.
Kayani arrives in Washington Feb 22 on a week-long trip on the invitation of his US Army counterpart Gen. George W. Casey. This will be his first visit to the US since replacing then president Pervez Musharraf as the army chief Nov 28, 2007.
“He is expected to meet Defence Secretary Robert Gates, Chairman US Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen and chief of the US Central Command Gen. David Petraeus, who oversees the US-led war against terrorism in the Afghan-Pakistan region,” Dawn reported Tuesday.
Kayani, who is a graduate of the US Army Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, will also visit his alma mater.
“The general’s trip, although being described by the two militaries as a ‘formal visit’, has generated a lot of interest in Washington’s diplomatic circles,” Dawn noted.
“It is believed here that he will meet at least some of those US officials who are playing a key role in formulating the future US strategy for Afghanistan and Pakistan.
“Excerpts of the new strategy leaked to the US media show that the United States expects the Pakistan Army to play a key role in eradicating terrorism from the region,” Dawn said.
On Tuesday, newly appointed US special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan held discussions in Islamabad on the ongoing war against terror on the country’s restive western border, where the security forces are battling Al Qaeda and Taliban militants.
- Kayani, top US official have short, crisp talk - Apr 26, 2011
- Petraeus discusses 'ways to improve regional security' with Kayani - Apr 26, 2011
- Pakistan Army chief leaves for talks in US - Mar 20, 2010
- Did Pakistan know Osama was to be killed, asks Dawn - May 03, 2011
- Pak military indirectly rejects damning US 'war on terror' report, ISI double-game - Apr 27, 2011
- Kayani satisfied with army's preparedness - Oct 21, 2011
- US failed to get Pakistani Army chief to target Taliban - Jan 01, 2011
- US general meets Pakistani army officials - Jul 14, 2011
- ISI chief leaves for Washington for day's visit (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Mullen arrives in Islamabad to iron out US-Pak differences - Apr 20, 2011
- Petraeus to commence third US 'war' in Pakistan as CIA chief: Report - Apr 30, 2011
- Osama ordered suicide squads against Obama, Nato commander - May 04, 2012
- ISI chief to visit US - Jul 13, 2011
- Pressure on Pak to reign in Haqqani network following proof provided by US - Jun 17, 2010
- NATO commander meets Pakistan army chief - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: admiral mike mullen, alma mater, ashfaq, chiefs of staff, david petraeus, diplomatic circles, fort leavenworth kansas, gen david petraeus, general staff college, joint chiefs of staff, kayani, neighbouring afghanistan, pakistan army, pakistani army, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, robert gates, us army command, us central command, war against terror