Pakistan women’s cricket chief slams World Cup organisersMarch 26th, 2009 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, March 26 (IANS) Pakistan women’s cricket chief Thursday took a swipe at the organisers of the recently-concluded Women’s World Cup in Australia, saying arrangements were made for the eight-nation tournament were below par.
Shireen Javed, the chairperson of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Women’s Wing, told reporters in Lahore that her players did not even get proper meals during the tournament and had to prepare the food on their own.
“Our players had to buy food items and cook their own meals during the tournament,” she said adding the organisers of the tournament in Sydney did not make any arrangements for meals for the Pakistani team - the only Muslim team in the competition.
Many Muslims adhere to strict Islamic dietary laws.
Javed’s comments came in the wake of media reports in Pakistan that the country’s women cricketers spent more time shopping than playing cricket during their stay in Australia.
Pakistan registered stunning wins over Sri Lanka and West Indies to qualify for the Super Six stage but lost all its remaining matches.
Javed said the women’s team coach Umar Rasheed will be changed ahead of June’s World Twenty20 Championship in England. “We need a more aggressive coach to improve our performance,” she said.
Javed also denied reports of her differences with team captain Urooj Mumtaz and that she was planning to replace the skipper.
- Few takers for Pakistani cricket team coach - Sep 27, 2011
- Miandad refused coaching offer due to personal reasons: Alam - Apr 13, 2011
- Pakistan manager satisfied with team's discipline in Caribbean - May 19, 2010
- Indian women beat Pakistan, to face Sri Lanka for place in semis - May 09, 2010
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
- India, New Zealand in semi-finals of Women's World Twenty20 - May 11, 2010
- Women's T20 cricket tournament kicks off in Lahore - Jan 23, 2012
- Lawson to assist Afghan under-19 World Cup team - Jul 12, 2012
- Coach must take pride in his work: Aaqib Javed - Sep 11, 2009
- Pakistan appoints new bowling coach - Aug 25, 2012
- Pregnant Pakistani woman killed by in-laws in Britain - Apr 25, 2012
- First Tibetan women's team to keep date with ball (With Image) - May 25, 2012
- PCB likely to remove assistant coaches Aaqib Javed, Aijaz Ahmed - Sep 30, 2010
- Miffed Javed yet to resume duty at NCA - Aug 25, 2009
- Hockey India appoint Hawgood as women's coach - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: chairperson, food items, islamic dietary laws, karachi, lahore, mumtaz, muslim, muslims, nation tournament, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, shireen, skipper, slams, swipe, team captain, team coach, west indies, world cup organisers, world twenty20