‘Pakistan was in the dark on Osama raid’July 26th, 2011 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 26 (IANS) Pakistan was not told about the US raid that led to the killing of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, a senior army officer has said.
The Director General of Military Operations, Maj. Gen. Ishfaq Nadeem Ahmad, has told a commission probing the May 2 gunning down of Osama bin Laden by US commandoes who stormed his residence in Abbottabad city that that Pakistani security organisations were not intimated about the operation.
A commission member told Dawn that Ahmad said the strategic sites in the country were well protected.
He claimed that neither had the US apprised the Pakistani armed forces of the presence of Osama in Abbottabad nor was there any internal information on this.
“The operation in Abbottabad was not known to any tier in the Pakistan army,” a press release issued after the meeting quoted Ahmad as saying.
The commission is to meet again Aug 1 when Inter-Services Intelligence chief Lt. Gen. Shuja Pasha is likely to brief it on the spy agency’s role in the incident.
- ISI has political wing, admits minister - Mar 13, 2012
- Pakistan's ISI chief may quit - May 07, 2011
- Gilani criticised over Laden comment - Dec 25, 2011
- Pakistani military intelligence chief appears before Osama panel - Oct 12, 2011
- US to restore military aid to Pakistan? (Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- ISI chief to visit US - Jul 13, 2011
- ISI chief leaves for Washington for day's visit (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Won't support any coup, says Imran Khan - Jan 12, 2012
- US to respect Pakistani's sovereignty: ISI chief - Jul 17, 2011
- Pakistani who helped CIA track down Osama faces treason charges - Oct 07, 2011
- Pakistan gets new ISI chief, air chief (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Zardari instucted Haqqani on memo: Ijaz - Feb 23, 2012
- Did Pakistan know of US raid to kill Osama? - May 02, 2011
- Unified commanders meet to debate security threats - May 19, 2011
- Pakistan's role in war on terror should not be doubted: Kayani - May 05, 2011
Tags: ahmad, al qaeda, armed forces, army officer, commission member, dawn, intelligence chief, inter services, lt, military operations, nadeem, osama bin laden, pakistan army, pasha, presence, Press Release, qaeda leader, shuja, spy agency