Pakistan was in bed with Taliban: DurraniNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:20 am ICT by admin
The interview took place at what the journal calls “Pakistan’s $17 million embassy on International Drive.”
Pakistan has “almost licked” al Qaeda after the 9/11 attacks but everything changed after the US invaded Iraq, reviving al Qaeda, he told The Washington Diplomat, a publication focused on the diplomatic corps based here.
Durrani said global pledges made to Afghanistan had not been honoured, warning, “If you don’t give them an alternative way of life, they will kill. This is the only thing they know.”
There was also a growing nexus between al Qaeda and international drug barons.
He said as ambassador he had no problems with the administration or the public, but he had one with the media, which is getting the Pakistan story wrong.
Durrani accused the mainstream US media of “getting the story all wrong” when it comes to Pakistan’s efforts to root out terrorism and Islamic extremism.
He defended his country on the Daniel Pearl and Mukhtar Mai cases, the Daily Times reported.
He explained, “Danny Pearl goes to meet the bad guys and gets in trouble. Tomorrow night, walk into some bad neighborhood of DC, and you’re also likely to get in trouble … One rape in Pakistan?
There are more unreported rapes in the United States than the total number of rapes in Pakistan. If it happens in a village following some stupid custom, then people perceive that it’s happening all over the country, Durrani said.
About US unpopularity in Pakistan, he said: “If today, you have a crowd of 1,000 people chanting anti-American slogans and somebody offers to give out US visas, 900 would definitely accept, if not all of them. Pakistani people like American values and the American system.” (ANI)
- Pakistan addicted to playing around militant groups against India: Pentagon - Mar 29, 2012
- Pak authorities 'knowingly relied on perjured testimony' to convict Daniel Pearl's killers - Jan 20, 2011
- Osama Bin Laden threatens to capture and kill Americans if 9/11 mastermind is executed - Mar 26, 2010
- US aid to Pakistan in America's own security interests: Husain Haqqani - Apr 30, 2011
- Pakistan has been an unreliable ally of US: Biden - Sep 13, 2011
- Mushrraf accepted seven US demands in 24 hours after 9/11 terror attacks - Sep 17, 2010
- 9/11 transformed South Asia geopolitics (10th anniversary of 9/11) - Sep 09, 2011
- Surprised that Osama was in Abbottabad: Musharraf (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Text of Obama's speech announcing Osama's killing - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan military hid Osama in Abbottabad: Ex-army chief - Dec 24, 2011
- A difficult year for Pakistan (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 25, 2011
- Pakistan's terror havens main hurdle to normal ties: India - May 20, 2011
- Al-Qaeda a 'failure' in Indonesia, claims secret Oz intelligence assessment - Dec 15, 2010
- Hillary Clinton warns Taliban to cut ties with Al-Qaeda - Feb 19, 2011
- Pak Govt. can bring back Qaeda suspect Aafia Siddiqui in a day if it wants: US counsel - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: 9 11 attacks, al qaeda, american values, bad guys, bad neighborhood, daniel pearl, danny pearl, diplomatic corps, drug barons, honoured, international drive, international drug, irrespective, islamic extremism, mainstream us media, mukhtar mai, pakistan, rapes, us visas