Pakistan tops needy list in 1.4-bn-dollar UNICEF annual aid appealMarch 8th, 2011 - 5:44 pm ICT by ANI
United Nations, Mar 8(ANI): The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has requested 1.4 billion dollars in its annual appeal to assist children and women caught in crises, with the bulk of that fund needed for Pakistan and Haiti.
UNICEF is requesting 296 million dollars for Pakistan and 157 million dollars for Haiti, according to the report.
The financial needs for emergencies in the Asia-Pacific region have significantly increased, and represent the region with the highest funding request of 373 million dollars, the Daily Times reported. Of the total funding for Asia, a whopping 80 per cent is needed for assistance to Pakistani children and women affected by conflict and last year’s floods.
The requirements for Latin America and the Caribbean have increased eightfold, mainly as a result of emergency situations in Haiti and the addition of the Guatemala appeal.
“Investing in children and building the resilience of countries and communities living on the edge not only shortens their road to recovery, but also helps them to manage anticipated risks before a crisis strikes and to mitigate loss when it does,” UNICEF Deputy Executive Director Hilde Johnson said in a statement. “Granting vulnerable communities the skills to face and withstand risk is an increasingly important component of humanitarian action, and an area to which UNICEF is deeply committed,” the agency stated. (ANI)
- Underfunding for Pak flood emergency jeopardizing life-saving operations: UNICEF - Nov 06, 2010
- Unicef appeals for $1.3 bn - Jan 28, 2012
- Don't recruit child soldiers: UNICEF - Aug 18, 2012
- UNICEF appeals for $1.2 bn to help children in 2012 - Jan 28, 2012
- UNICEF appeals for $1.28 billion for 2012 humanitarian aid - Jan 28, 2012
- Unicef to help displaced women, children of Syria - Mar 24, 2012
- UNICEF seeks $50mn for flood-hit Pakistani kids - Oct 13, 2011
- Drought in Horn of Africa affects 1.8mn children: UN - Jun 02, 2011
- Unicef says it needs $1.2 bn in 2010 - Feb 04, 2010
- More than 5 million still affected by floods in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2011
- 3.5 mn Pakistani children at risk of fatal diseases - Aug 17, 2010
- Drought threatens 2 mn kids in Horn of Africa: UN - Jul 09, 2011
- McGregor calls for help to flood-ravaged Pakistan - Aug 28, 2010
- Disease, hunger kill 17 flood survivors in Pakistan - Aug 31, 2010
- UN launches child rights' guidelines for business sector - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: asia pacific region, billion dollars, crises, crisis strikes, deputy executive director, emergencies, emergency situations, floods, fund unicef, guatemala, humanitarian action, investing in children, latin america, living on the edge, million dollars, pakistan, resilience, unicef, united nations, vulnerable communities