Pakistan Supreme Court dismisses Sarabjit’s mercy pleaJune 24th, 2009 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 24 (IANS) Pakistan’s Supreme Court Wednesday dismissed Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh’s review petition that challenged his death sentence.
A three-member bench of the apex court, headed by Justice Raja Fayyaz gave the verdict, the News International reported.
The Pakistan Supreme Court Monday adjourned till Wednesday the hearing in Sarabjit Singh’s plea against the death penalty handed to him for his alleged involvement in bomb blasts in this country.
On March 9, 2006, a two-member Supreme Court bench had dismissed Singh’s petition against the sentence for his alleged involvement in carrying out four bomb blasts at Lahore in 1990 that killed 14 people.
Singh, a resident of Amritsar, has been on the death row for the past 18 years ever since his conviction in 1991. His family contests the sentence, saying Singh had strayed into Pakistan in a drunken state and had nothing to do with the blasts.
Singh, who is lodged in Kot Lakhpat jail, was to have been hanged April 1, 2008 but the authorities put this off after newly-installed Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani sought to examine the issue.
- Pakistan Supreme Court adjourns Sarabjit's mercy plea - Jun 22, 2009
- Will seek Sarabjit's pardon: Pakistani lawyer - Jun 27, 2009
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistani Supreme Court rejects Sarabjit's plea, India urges 'sympathetic' view (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2009
- Pakistan SC rejects Sarabjit Singh's mercy plea - Jun 24, 2009
- Pakistan Supreme Court dismisses Indian prisoner Sarabjit's mercy plea (Lead) - Jun 24, 2009
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Is arrested conman behind Pakistan blasts blamed on Sarabjit? - Dec 17, 2010
- Sarabjit Singh's review petition quashed following failure of lawyer to attend - Jun 24, 2009
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- New Delhi urges Islamabad to show sympathy to Sarabjeet Singh - Jun 25, 2009
Tags: amritsar, apex, apex court, april 1, bomb blasts, death penalty, death row, death sentence, drunken state, family contests, fayyaz, gilani, lahore, news international, pakistan supreme court, plea, raja, raza, supreme court bench, yousuf