Pakistan summons US envoy over drone strikesJune 5th, 2012 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 5 (IANS) Pakistan’s foreign ministry Tuesday summoned US Charge d’Affaires Richard Hoagland to lodge a formal protest over the series of drone strikes in the country, the ministry said.
The protest came a day after two US drones killed at least 16 people in North Waziristan Monday, the third strike in the area over the past three days.
At least 151 people have been killed in 20 drone strikes launched this year.
“US Charge d’Affaires Ambassador Richard Hoagland was called to the ministry of foreign affairs today (Tuesday). He was officially conveyed the government’s serious concern regarding drone strikes in Pakistani territory,” Xinhua quoted a ministry statement as saying.
“He (Hoagland) was informed that the drone strikes were unlawful, against international law and a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty,” the ministry said.
The statement recalled that the Pakistani parliament had in April stated that the drone strikes were unacceptable.
“Drone strikes represented a clear red-line for Pakistan,” the US diplomat was told.
Anti-US sentiment runs high in Pakistan, basically stemming from the drone strikes in Pakistan’s northwest border region. The drone strikes have killed hundreds of civilians.
Pakistani authorities have repeatedly condemned the drone strikes in the past but the US has never stopped the attacks.
- Pakistan summons top US diplomat over anti-Islam film - Sep 21, 2012
- One dead as Pakistan protests anti-Islam film (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Pakistan summons US diplomat to protest drone strikes - Aug 23, 2012
- Anti-Islam film protests grip Pakistan; one killed (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- US wants ties with Pakistan: Envoy - Feb 26, 2012
- Pakistan summons US envoy over Balochistan resolution - Feb 21, 2012
- 13 Pakistani soldiers killed in Afghan attack (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Pakistan lodges strong protest with US over Angoor Adda drone attack - Apr 14, 2011
- Pak Punjab Assembly passes resolution against drone attacks - Mar 18, 2011
- Pakistan views Khar-Clinton meet as 'positive, constructive' - Feb 24, 2012
- 13 die in drone strike in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Pakistan, US trying to find solution to drone strikes - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran summons Swiss diplomat over US assassination charge - Oct 12, 2011
- US drone strike kills 4 in northwest Pakistan - Sep 01, 2012
- Nine killed in Pakistan drone strike - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: border region, civilians, diplomat, drone, drones, foreign ministry, formal protest, ministry of foreign affairs, ministry statement, north waziristan, northwest border, pakistani authorities, pakistani territory, red line, richard hoagland, sovereignty, strikes, summons, third strike, xinhua