Pakistan snubs ICL players for T20 World CupMay 4th, 2009 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
By Omar Khalid
Karachi, May 4 (IANS) Pakistan Monday snubbed its three Indian Cricket League (ICL) players while announcing the 15-man squad for next month’s World Twenty20 Championship in England.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had included the previously banned trio of Abdul Razzaq, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Imran Nazir as reserves in its preliminary squad for the biennial spectacle but dropped them in the final 15.
Razzaq, Rana and Imran were hoping for a comeback to the Pakistan team for the June 5-21 World Twenty20 championship.
Skipper Younis Khan will captain the Pakistan squad that includes two new faces in pacer Mohammad Aamer and Shahzaib Hassan.
Surprisingly, national selectors have shown faith in fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, who failed to impress much in the recently-concluded one-day series against Australia in Abu Dhabi.
Akhtar heads the Pakistan pace battery that includes Umar Gul, Sohail Tanvir, Yasir Arafat and youngster Mohammad Aamer.
Saeed Ajmal is the only specialist spinner in the squad that includes several all-rounders including former captain Shoaib Malik, Shahid Afridi and youngster Fawad Alam.
Pakistan have also included teenage opener Ahmed Shahzad in the squad on the basis of his impressive debut against Australia in UAE.
Pakistan is eyeing the World Twenty20 title after finishing runner-up to India in the inaugural edition of the tournament in South Africa in 2007.
Pakistan squad: Younis Khan (captain), Misbah-ul-Haq, Salman Butt, Ahmed Shahzad, Shoaib Malik, Shahid Afridi, Fawad Alam, Kamran Akmal, Yasir Arafat, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Sohail Tanvir, Mohammad Aamer, Saeed Ajmal and Shahzaib Hassan.
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Akmal rejoicing return to Pakistan team - Jan 05, 2011
- Younis ignored for Pak teams for England tour - Jun 21, 2010
- Pakistan announce World Cup squad without a captain - Jan 18, 2011
- No Shoaib Akhtar in list of 30 probables for ICC T20 World Cup - Feb 27, 2010
- Pakistan announce Twenty20 squad, captain to be named later - Mar 12, 2010
- Former Pakistan players hail selection of Younis, Malik - May 26, 2010
- Banned Younis, Malik and ageing Akhtar in PCB's list of 35 probables for Asia Cup - May 26, 2010
- No PCB contracts for Younis, Yousuf, Malik - Mar 19, 2010
- Ex-players blast PCB for dumping Younis for England tour - Jun 22, 2010
- Kamran, Naved in 30-man preliminary Pak World Cup squad - Jan 05, 2011
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- End of road looms for Misbah after axe from all three squads - Oct 23, 2009
- Afridi, Akmal not in new PCB contracts - Aug 08, 2011
- Pakistan drop Razzaq, Kamran from ODIs, T20 side - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: aamer, ajmal, cricket league, fawad alam, impressive debut, inaugural edition, indian cricket, kamran akmal, misbah, national selectors, new faces, omar khalid, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistan team, shahid afridi, tanvir, ul haq, umar gul, yasir arafat