Pakistan set to be readmitted to CommonwealthMay 12th, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by admin
By Dipankar De Sarkar
London, May 12 (IANS) Expelled for flouting democratic norms, Pakistan is set to be readmitted to the Commonwealth Monday after general elections ushered in a democratic government in February. The decision on whether to readmit Pakistan is to be taken by the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group (CMAG), which addresses serious and persistent violations of the Commonwealth’s core values and principles.
Commonwealth Secretary General Kamalesh Sharma had said April 16 that he hoped Pakistan could soon be readmitted to the 53-nation Commonwealth, describing the February general elections as “very welcome”.
Pakistan was suspended at the November summit in Kampala after President Musharraf declared emergency rule.
Sharma, former Indian high commissioner to Britain, has made the promotion of democracy in South Asia a top priority in his new job.
With the region accounting for 70 percent of the Commonwealth’s population, Sharma said recently that if democracy could take firm root in the region it would give a “huge boost” to the Commonwealth’s principles of good governance.
The CMAG will also consider political developments in Fiji, which was suspended from the Commonwealth in December 2006 following a military coup.
The CMAG is composed of the foreign ministers of nine Commonwealth countries, which currently are Britain, Ghana, Malaysia, Namibia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, St Lucia, Sri Lanka and Uganda.
- Commonwealth to decide Pakistan's membership on May 12 - Apr 18, 2008
- Commonwealth to intervene in democracy subversion, rights monitor stalled - Oct 28, 2011
- Commonwealth appoints special envoy to Maldives - Mar 02, 2012
- Mood sours as CHOGM stalls rights monitor move - Oct 29, 2011
- Final medals tally of Commonwealth Games - Oct 15, 2010
- Commonwealth asked to act on threat to Asma Jehangir - Jun 09, 2012
- Pakistan readmitted to Commonwealth (Lead) - May 12, 2008
- Commonwealth fails to pass the reforms test - Oct 30, 2011
- Kamalesh Sharma reappointed Commonwealth secretary general (Lead) - Oct 30, 2011
- CWG medals tally - Oct 12, 2010
- CWG Medals Tally - Oct 13, 2010
- Medals Tally, Day 10 - Oct 14, 2010
- CWG medals tally, eighth day - Oct 12, 2010
- CWG Medals table - Oct 13, 2010
- Continent-wise countries at the Delhi Commonwealth Games - Oct 03, 2010
Tags: cmag, commonwealth countries, commonwealth secretary, democratic government, democratic norms, dipankar, emergency rule, foreign ministers, general elections, indian high commissioner, kampala, military coup, ministerial action group, papua new guinea, persistent violations, political developments, president musharraf, principles of good governance, sarkar, top priority