Pakistan seeks more information on 26/11, India terms it insincere (Third Lead)February 10th, 2009 - 12:29 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 9 (IANS) Pakistan said Monday it needed more information on the Mumbai terror attacks and New Delhi expectedly reacted in anger, accusing Islamabad of insincerity in prosecuting the perpetrators of the carnage.
A statement issued here after Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani chaired a meeting of the cabinet Defence Coordination Committee said the evidence India has furnished, pointing to involvement of elements from Pakistan in the Mumbai mayhem, was insufficient.
“The meeting, however, observed that without substantial evidence from India it will be exceedingly difficult to complete the investigation and proceed with the case,” said the statement. The meeting was attended among others by Pakistani Army chief Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.
“In order to complete the investigation, the questions which are arising from the inquiry carried out by the FIA (Federal Investigation Agency) need to be answered by the Indian authorities,” the statement said.
“These will be communicated to the Indian authorities shortly,” it added.
India was quick to react, saying enough evidence had been furnished on the involvement of elements from this country in the Mumbai attacks.
“Pakistan has been given enough proof (on Mumbai),” Minister of State for External Affair Anand Sharma told reporters in New Delhi.
“Pakistan has not been sincere on evidence shared by India,” he added.
“If Pakistan is serious, it should dismantle terror infrastructure,” Sharma maintained, pointing out that the international community “is watching and won’t let Pakistan get away.”
The FIA has prepared the report on the basis of a dossier provided by India pointing to the involvement of elements from this country in the Nov 26-29, 2008, Mumbai carnage that claimed more than 170 lives, including those of 26 foreigners, and left over 300 injured.
While Gilani has previously said Pakistan would share the outcome of its investigations into the Mumbai attacks on Monday or Tuesday, it is now apparent this will be delayed, prompting India to react in the manner it has.
The statement effectively shot down India’s demand that the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks, which New Delhi has blamed on the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terror group, be extradited. Anyone found to be involved in the carnage would be tried within the country, the statement said.
“The case should be registered and further investigation be carried out so that the perpetrators, wherever they may be, of the heinous crime are brought to justice in accordance with the law of the land,” the statement maintained.
On Monday, there were reports that the FIA had arrested three men in Karachi for their alleged involvement with Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist captured during the Mumbai attacks who is now in India’s police custody.
“A source privy to the matter disclosed that intelligence agencies had taken the men into custody from different areas of Karachi in connection with their alleged affiliation with Kasab,” Daily Times reported Monday.
“They were reportedly taken to Islamabad and an investigation was in progress,” the newspaper said, adding the arrests were made by the FIA in collaboration with other intelligence agencies.
Tags: carnage, coordination committee, external affair, federal investigation, foreigners, gilani, indian authorities, insincerity, investigation agency, kayani, mayhem, minister of state, New Delhi, outcom, pakistani army chief, perpetrators, raza, substantial evidence, terror attacks, yousuf