Pakistan seeking membership of Shanghai Cooperation OrganisationMarch 27th, 2009 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 27 (RIA Novosti) Pakistan is seeking full membership of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), a regional security group, the country’s foreign minister told an international conference in Moscow Friday.
“I hope that one day we will be invited to join this organisation,” Shah Mehmood Qureshi said.
The SCO regional security group comprises Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Uzbekistan. Russia took over the presidency of the organisation last August. Iran, India, Mongolia and Pakistan have observer status.
The SCO is currently holding an international conference in Moscow, to discuss the “situation in Afghanistan and its influence on neighbouring states”.
The conference is being attended by foreign ministers and high-level diplomats from SCO member and observer states, as well as Afghanistan, the US, and Turkey.
Qureshi further said that Russia and China could play a key role in improving the situation in the impoverished state.
The UN Secretary General, and heads from the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) are also taking part in the event.
- Putin proposes anti-terror centre in SCO - Jun 07, 2012
- Chinese PM to visit Russia - Nov 06, 2011
- China to issue $10 bn in loans to SCO members - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia seeks India, Pakistan to join SCO - May 12, 2012
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
- SCO summit convenes in Beijing - Jun 05, 2012
- Russia wants India, Pakistan in SCO (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- India to pitch for larger role at SCO summit - May 27, 2012
- India seeks China's support for SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- Pakistan wants full SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- Pakistan seeks full membership of Shanghai group - Jun 13, 2011
- (HOLD) Krishna leaves for SCO summit in China - Jun 05, 2012
- China, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan hold anti-terror drills - May 08, 2011
- Russia backs India for SCO member - Nov 17, 2011
Tags: collective security treaty organization, diplomats, foreign ministers, key role, mehmood, neighbouring states, observer states, observer status, oic, organization for security and cooperation, organization for security and cooperation in europe, organization of the islamic conference, osce, qureshi, regional security, ria novosti, security group, security treaty, shanghai cooperation organisation, un secretary general