Pakistan rejects Afghan leader’s remarks on terror linksAugust 24th, 2010 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 24 (DPA) Pakistan Tuesday rejected claims by a senior Afghan security official that Islamabad was providing safe havens to terrorists.
The allegations by Afghan National Security Advisor Rangin Dadfar Spanta were “nothing new but a rehash of hackneyed and baseless allegations against Pakistan and its security agencies”, Islamabad’s foreign ministry spokesman Abdul Basit said.
Spanta in an article published in The Washington Post Monday accused Pakistan of playing a double game and taking billions of dollars in assistance while hosting known terrorist groups.
“Pakistan continues to provide sanctuary and support to the Quetta Shura, the Haqqani network, the Hekmatyar group and Al Qaeda,” the Afghan leader said.
Calling on the international community to “dismantle” Pakistan-based networks as part of the wider strategy against terrorism, Spanta said “this requires confronting the state that still sees terrorism as a strategic asset and foreign policy tool”.
“While we are losing dozens of men and women to terrorist attacks every day, the terrorists’ main mentor continues to receive billions of dollars in aid and assistance. How is this fundamental contradiction justified?” he wrote.
Basit said Spanta’s views were personal and did not reflect the excellent mutual understanding and cooperation between Pakistan and Afghanistan in the fight against terrorism.
“Both our countries recognised how imperative it was to defeat the pernicious evil of terrorism for achieving stability and prosperity in our region,” he said.
He said Pakistan would not be distracted by such unfair remarks, and would continue working with Afghanistan and the international community to eliminate militancy and terrorism.
Pakistan has been long suspected by the Afghan and US intelligence community of turning a blind eye to terrorist groups, based in its tribal areas, training and attacking NATO troops across the border.
The international whistle-blower website WikiLeaks last month published thousands of documents showing links between Pakistani intelligence and militants.
Pakistan denied the accusations, while the US deplored the publishing of documents that it said could jeopardize the security of its men and women in uniform, and its allies among the population.
- India to convey concerns about Taliban to Afghanistan - Aug 23, 2010
- Not talking to Haqqanis, our red lines are clear: Afghan NSA - Aug 31, 2010
- Afghan NSA blasts Pak for providing safe havens to Al-Qaeda, other terror groups - Jul 06, 2010
- Pak rejects Afghan NSA's 'double faced' commitments against terror accusation - Aug 24, 2010
- Top Afghan official urges US to put sanctions on Pak for backing jihadis - Aug 27, 2010
- Supporting 'double faced' Pak, US' biggest "strategic failure": Afghan NSA - Aug 24, 2010
- Afghanistan asks Pakistan to shut terror sanctuaries (Lead) - Aug 31, 2010
- 'Shocked' Pak seeks clarification on Karzai's 'hitting terror sanctuaries' remarks - Jul 30, 2010
- Afghan foreign minister briefs Manmohan Singh on peace plan (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Pakistan can't dictate ties with India: Afghan NSA - Sep 01, 2010
- As Pakistan looms, PM returns from Afghanistan with renewed ties (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- India reminds Afghanistan of Taliban 'red lines' - Aug 24, 2010
- Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran join hands to prepare anti-terror framework - Jan 17, 2010
- Nawaz Sharif "author of Islamic radicalism" in Afghanistan: Spanta - Dec 04, 2010
- US tells Pakistan to have constructive ties with India - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: abdul basit, double game, foreign ministry spokesman, fundamental contradiction, hekmatyar, intelligence community, militancy, mutual understanding, national security advisor, nato troops, policy tool, quetta, rangin dadfar spanta, safe havens, security agencies, security official, tribal areas, turning a blind eye, washington post, whi