Pakistan likely to issue visas to Indian pilgrimsNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:03 am ICT by admin
Sources said that a formal proposal in this regard would be made to India in the next round of talks between the Interior Secretaries of the two countries. They said that the decision’s implementation was subject to India’s reciprocity.
The meeting had rejected the idea of treating pilgrims as tourists under the current visa policy, sources said.
Foreign Office spokesman Muhammad Sadiq was unaware of the move, and said that the issue was under discussion at diplomatic levels.
He said that currently Indian pilgrims were treated under the Protocol on Visit to Religious Sites, 1974, according to which Indian citizens are given visas to visit their holy sites on certain occasions.
Interior Secretary Syed Kamal Shah, Additional Secretary Imtiaz Kazi, Joint Secretary Waqar Zaib, and Aizaz Chaudhry also attended the meeting, the Daily Times reported. (ANI)
- Visa pact signed with Pakistan; India insists on 26/11 justice (Intro Roundup) - Sep 09, 2012
- India, Pakistan ink visa pact (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Moving beyond past, India, Pakistan ink visa pact (Fourth Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- India-Pakistan ease visa norms for visitors - Sep 08, 2012
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
- Liberal Indian visa a good thing, says daily - Feb 18, 2012
- India, Pakistan defer signing of visa pact, discuss 26/11 (Second Lead) - May 26, 2012
- India-Pakistan talks focus on visas, Mumbai probe - May 24, 2012
- VIP quota for Haj pilgrimage cut - Jul 23, 2012
- Indian, Pakistani elders to get visas on arrival (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- India-Pakistan talks focus on liberalised visa regime (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Visa pact to be signed Saturday, will benefit common people: Rehman Malik (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- US unveils new scheme to ease visa renewal - Mar 21, 2012
- Text of India, Pakistan joint statement - Mar 29, 2011
- Moving beyond past, India, Pakistan ink visa pact (Roundup) - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: aftab ahmed, ahmed khan, diplomatic levels, formal proposal, imtiaz, India, indian citizens, interior minister, interior secretary, issue visas, kamal shah, kazi, muhammad sadiq, office spokesman, pilgrims, policy sources, regard, religious sites, visa policy, waqar