Pakistan hockey coach wary of Sandeep’s skillsMarch 31st, 2009 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
By Omar Khalid
Karachi, March 31 (IANS) The Pakistan hockey team is wary of Indian captain Sandeep Singh’s ability to convert penalty corners and see the defender as one of the biggest hurdles in their bid to regain the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in the Malaysian city of Ipoh in April.
Shahid Ali Khan, the Pakistan hockey coach, told IANS Tuesday that he sees India as the team to beat in the April 5-12 tournament mainly because it has the best short corner expert within its ranks.
“India are the in-form team,” said Shahid, a former Olympian.
“It has played and won quite a few matches in recent months and also because it has Sandeep Singh, who is currently one of the best drag flick experts in international hockey,” he stressed.
Pakistan will be going to Ipoh without its drag flick ace Sohail Abbas, who is currently playing league hockey in Holland.
Shahid said Pakistan has carried out special drills to counter short corner strikes during the five-nation Azlan Shah Cup. A former Pakistan goalkeeper, Shahid, is at the helm of an 18-man national squad that will leave for Kuala Lumpur from Islamabad April 1.
Pakistan will play its opening match against hosts Malaysia April 5 followed by games against New Zealand, Egypt and old rivals India. The final will be played April 12.
Goalkeeper: Nasir Ahmed. Fullbacks: Zeeshan Ashraf (captain), Muhammad Imran (vice captain), Ehsanullah.
Midfielders: Zeeshan Ali, Sabtain Raza, Muhammad Saqlain, Rana Muhammad Asif, Fareed Ahmed, Sajjad Anwar, Dilawar Hussain.
Forwards: Waqas Sharif, Shakeel Abbasi, Shabbir Khan, Abbas Haider, Tariq Aziz, Shafqat Rasool, Akhtar Ali.
Officials: Shahid Ali Khan (head coach), Kamran Ashraf (coach).
- Pakistan determined to win Azlan Shah Cup, says Imran - May 01, 2011
- Pakistan axe top hockey stars for Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 28, 2010
- Shakeel Abbasi to lead Pakistan hockey team, Sohail Abbas back - Oct 11, 2011
- Pak hockey coach wary of India ahead of Azlan Shah Championship - Apr 01, 2009
- Pakistan's hockey World Cup squad a blend of youth and experience - Feb 07, 2010
- Pakistan announce hockey World Cup squad - Feb 06, 2010
- Drag flicker Sohail Abbas pitted for Pak hockey captaincy - Apr 22, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Argentina end India's title hopes - May 30, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India gear up for New Zealand - May 23, 2012
- Central contracts for Pakistan hockey players - Feb 18, 2012
- India-Pakistan World Cup clash will be a battle of nerves - Feb 27, 2010
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Pakistan hockey squad steps down after World Cup debacle - Mar 11, 2010
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: ali khan, azlan shah cup, hockey coach, indian captain, league hockey, muhammad asif, nasir ahmed, omar khalid, penalty corners, raza muhammad, saqlain, shabbir khan, shafqat, shahid ali, shakeel, sohail abbas, sultan azlan shah, sultan azlan shah cup, tariq aziz, zeeshan ali