‘Pakistan has gone back to the 10th century after emergency’November 14th, 2007 - 10:17 am ICT by admin
“We asked them under what order were we being arrested to which they said, ‘the order is from above’. We were then bundled into the police vans and taken to the Model Town police station,” he added.
“We have struggled and worked for human rights during every government. This is not the only government we have raised out voice against,” Dr Mubasher Hassan said.
“We will continue working for human rights. My experience with the police was unnerving, even if brief. They took me to the Model Town police station and released me soon afterward,” Hassan said.
“I sat in my chair even while everyone else was being taken away. We weren’t doing anything wrong or illegal. I put my handbag in my lap and told the police that I won’t get up. The police grabbed hold of my chair and picked it up with me in it,” Salima Hashmi said.
“When we got to the police van, they asked me if I wanted to keep sitting in my chair. I told them that I wasn’t like Musharraf who wanted to keep his chair,” she said.
We did not plan to protest on the street. The meeting was called to discuss the protest inside the HRCP building’s premises against the emergency rule.
“We were taken to Model Town police station where the police took away our cell phones. The next day we appeared in front of a magistrate and were then sent to Kot Lakhpat Central Jail. The case against us stated that we had violated the law by protesting on the roads,” Hashmi said.
“Kot Lakhpat Jail authorities told our police escort that they were not told about the new arrivals and we were then taken back to Zahid Hussain’s house,” the Daily Times quoted Hashmi, as saying. (ANI)
- Surjeet home after 30 years, says he was a spy (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Maharashtra man returns after two years in Pakistani jail (With image) - Jun 17, 2012
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet freed, to come home via Wagah (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- For Surjeet Singh, life unfolds a guessing game - Jul 01, 2012
- No backtracking on Mumbai attack: Krishna (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Indian 'martyr' alive in Pakistan, family hopes for return - Apr 30, 2011
- Surjeet freed but reaches Wagah in handcuffs (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- Indian jailed in Pakistan to be freed Thursday - Apr 06, 2011
- The 'real' Sarabjit has been arrested, claims family - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: emergency rule, hassan, human rights commission of pakistan, jail authorities, kot lakhpat, model town, mubasher, police escort, police station, police van, police vans, protest, town police, unnerving, zahid hussain