Pakistan dam develops cracksFebruary 21st, 2012 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 21 (IANS) A committee will probe the cause behind cracks that have appeared in a dam in Pakistan’s Gilgit-Baltistan region.
Gilgit-Baltistan Legislative Assembly Speaker Wazir Baig Monday constituted the committee to investigate reasons behind the cracks that appeared in the water reservoir of the 18MW power station in Naltar, reported Dawn.
Syed Raziuddin Rizvi, a lawmaker, said in the assembly that there was likelihood of calamity in case the water reservoir burst due to the cracks.
Water and Power Minister Wazir Shakil said the reservoir had accumulated tonnes of silt due to last year’s flashfloods.
He said experts had been hired to clean the reservoir.
- Villagers threatened by dam cracks in Pakistan-administered Kashmir - Jan 09, 2012
- Pakistan no to seeking NOC on dam from India - Aug 14, 2012
- Pakistan launches 4,500 MW dam project - Oct 19, 2011
- US gives aid for hydroelectric dams in Pakistan - Aug 20, 2011
- Pakistan has no right to discuss Gilgit-Baltistan in its parliament: BNF chief - Feb 23, 2011
- Pakistan gets help from US to tackle energy crisis - Jul 18, 2011
- NTPC Himachal hydro plant to be commissioned next year - Feb 27, 2012
- Pak's Gilgit-Baltistan reforms, attempt to divide Kashmiris: JKLF - Nov 04, 2009
- 'India should reserve IIT, IIM seats for Pakistani Kashmiris' - May 10, 2011
- Pakistan-Tajikistan road to cost Rs.2 bn - Oct 19, 2011
- Demilitarise Siachen, says Nawaz Sharif - Apr 18, 2012
- Five prisoners break free in Pakistan - Aug 01, 2012
- Pakistan arrested over 3,000 terrorists in three years - Aug 04, 2011
- Polling completed in Gilgit-Baltistan election - Nov 12, 2009
- Pak Human Rights Commission reports massive fallacies in Gilgit-Baltistan elections - Nov 14, 2009