Pakistan cricket coaching staff facing flakApril 29th, 2009 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, April 29 (IANS) The performance of Pakistan’s coaching staff headed by Intikhab Alam is being questioned in the wake of a series of defeats against Sri Lanka at home and Australia in the UAE.
Media reports Wednesday raised a big question mark on the justification of hiring two coaches — Alam and Aaquib Javed (bowling coach) - after the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) sacked Australian Geoff Lawson last year on the grounds that he was too expensive and was not meeting targets.
“PCB chief Ijaz Butt sacked Lawson saying that he was too expensive. But now he has hired two coaches, who are even more expensive than Lawson and are a burden on the board that is facing a financial crunch,” said a report in one of the mainstream Urdu dailies Wednesday.
Lawson was receiving a salary of around Pakistani Rs.14 million a year and other perks. The former Australia pacer was sacked after Butt took over last fall. Butt hired Alam, a former Pakistan captain, as the new coach at a lower salary.
The PCB chief then appointed Aaquib as an assistant coach. Together the two receive combined salaries of around Pakistani Rs.11 million per annum but their perks and other expenses make them more expensive than Lawson, said the report.
It added that the Alam-Javed team has failed to deliver so far as Pakistan’s winning ration has gone down to 45 percent compared to 80 percent under Lawson. Under Alam, Pakistan have lost a one-day series against Sri Lanka at home and is down 1-2 against Australia in the ongoing series in UAE.
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- Pak likely to continue with Intikhab as cricket coach on NZ tour - Dec 02, 2010
- Pakistan appoints new bowling coach - Aug 25, 2012
- Few takers for Pakistani cricket team coach - Sep 27, 2011
- I will instill self-belief in Pakistan team: Coach Mohsin - Oct 04, 2011
- Miandad can replace Intikhab as Pakistan coach - Nov 14, 2009
- Miffed Javed yet to resume duty at NCA - Aug 25, 2009
- Lawson willing to return but wants apology from PCB chief Butt - Feb 12, 2010
- PCB's axing of players instead of management "joke of the century": Pak newspaper - Apr 07, 2011
- Pakistan coach rubbishes reports of sacking - Dec 14, 2009
- Qadir questions Waqar's appointment as bowling coach - Dec 17, 2009
- Lawson to assist Afghan under-19 World Cup team - Jul 12, 2012
- PCB likely to remove assistant coaches Aaqib Javed, Aijaz Ahmed - Sep 30, 2010
- Jones in contention for Pakistan cricket coach's job - Oct 06, 2011
- Pakistan can get to the top of world rankings: Waqar - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: alam, annum, april 29, assistant coach, bowling coach, butt, cricket coaching, dailies, financial crunch, flak, geoff lawson, justification, mainstream, pacer, pakistan captain, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, question mark, salaries, salary