Pakistan court issues stay order against WC Secretariat move

May 18th, 2009 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS  

By Omar Khalid
Karachi, May 18 (IANS) The Lahore High Court Monday issued a stay order against the relocation of the World Cup 2011 secretariat from Pakistan to India.

Taffazul Rizvi, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) legal adviser, said that a representative of the International Cricket Council (ICC) also attended the hearing in Lahore.

“The civil court of senior judge Mohammad Younis Anees has today issued a stay order against the relocation of the World Cup secretariat from Lahore to Mumbai until June 2, 2009,” said Rizvi.

The PCB’s civil case against moving the World Cup head office is one of a series of protests Pakistan have made against the ICC decision to strip the country of its share of World Cup matches.

The Cup Organising Committee (COC) moved the World Cup 2011 secretariat out of Lahore in its meeting held in Mumbai on April 28 after ICC stripped Pakistan of any World Cup matches due to security apprehensions.

The PCB earlier this month mounted a legal challenge against the ICC and wrote to request international arbitration in the matter.

Pakistan also sued the ICC, IDI (ICC Development International) - the commercial arm of ICC, and the COC World Cup 2011 in Lahore last week, saying the World Cup secretariat cannot be moved until the legal notice was resolved.

“The ICC President David Morgan requested PCB chairman Ijaz Butt not to have a one-sided decision against the ICC. The ICC representative requested for an adjournment of the case,” said Rizvi.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe