Pakistan clears hockey team’s India visitDecember 4th, 2008 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Dec 4 (IANS) Pakistan has cleared the national hockey team’s visit to India for a four-nation tournament to be played in Chandigarh and Jalandhar from Jan 31 next year, it was announced Thursday.Asif Bajwa, the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) secretary, told reporters here that the foeign ministry had granted permission for the visit, adding it would be a good exposure to the players.
“Our hockey team will be visiting India for a four-nation tourney starting next month,” said Bajwa, a former Olympian.
The other countries in the tournament are India, Germany and the Netherlands.
Last month the Indian authorities refused to clear the Pakistani junior hockey team’s tour to the country for a five-match series citing security concerns.
The PHF later claimed it lost almost Rs.6 million because of the series cancellation.
He said the two hockey federations met in Los Angeles earlier this week and agreed to have regular matches on a home-and-away basis for the next five years.
He said Pakistan will host a major eight-nation international hockey event next year as a tribute to slain former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.
Bajwa said that due to the security situation in Pakistan, the tournament will be hosted at a neutral venue.
- Pakistan delegation to visit India for hockey revival - Aug 28, 2012
- Bajwa hopeful of Pakistan's good showing in Champions Trophy - Nov 17, 2011
- Pakistan confident of resuming international hockey during 2011 - Apr 27, 2011
- Beleaguered Pak hockey team will "bounce back strongly": PHF Secretary - Nov 16, 2010
- Pakistan keen on reviving hockey series with India - Oct 28, 2010
- Pakistan not to hold four-nation hockey tournament - Nov 27, 2009
- Shakeel Abbasi to lead Pakistan hockey team, Sohail Abbas back - Oct 11, 2011
- Pak hockey players get show-cause notice over WSH contracts - Apr 25, 2011
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- PHF to discuss Indo-Pak hockey series revival with Malik today - Apr 19, 2011
- Indian hockey team likely to tour Pakistan at 2011 end: Asif Bajwa - Apr 09, 2011
- PHF warns players to stay away from World Series Hockey - Nov 15, 2011
- PHF issues show cause notices to three key players - Apr 24, 2011
- Pakistan's former Olympians protest against hockey federation - Jun 12, 2012
- Pakistan hockey invests in technology to improve players' fitness - Jul 06, 2011