Pakistan brewery ‘to give Indian beers a run for their money’January 6th, 2011 - 4:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 6 (ANI): Pakistan’s colonial era brewery has stepped up to challenge the dominance of India beer brands in Britain.
Isphanyar Bhandara, the company’s chief executive, said the firm hoped to start distributing to restaurants across the UK in the next two to three months.
“I am looking at this project not from the financial point of view,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“I would like to get this very famous name - it is, after all, a British legacy - on to the streets of the UK. My aim would be to put it in the ethnic restaurants and give the Indian beers, which totally suck, a run for their money,” he added.
Set up in 1960, the brewery was located near Murree, a hill station nestled 6,000ft above sea level where British officers would seek respite from the brutal summer heat. But later it moved to Rawalpindi.
However, the Partition saw business shrinking because of a Muslim population, for which alcohol intake is considered a sin.
Murree’s brewery and distillery is tucked away behind the soft drinks division.
“The future looks very dangerous for this country,” said Bhandara, who is teetotal even though, as a Parsee, he is allowed to drink.
“Putting a definite future on liquor is very difficult.” (ANI)
- Story of a Rawalpindi brewery that survived amid alcohol restrictions - Apr 28, 2010
- Chinese ancient liquor breweries eye heritage list - Jul 11, 2012
- Brit brewery unveils 'Windsor Knot' beer in honour of Royal wedding - Mar 30, 2011
- Mexican brewery produces first gay beer - Feb 17, 2011
- Liquor to cost more in Haryana - Feb 21, 2011
- Kim Jong-Il wants to build brewery in Russia - Aug 27, 2011
- Teens prefer a shot of liquor to a bottle of beer, finds study - Mar 09, 2011
- Himachal orders British-era liquor unit shut - May 29, 2010
- All pervasive corruption behind repeated hooch tragedies: Former cops - Dec 15, 2011
- No takers for world's first gay beer - Feb 20, 2011
- Oz firms develop first beer that can be consumed in space - Mar 01, 2011
- Maharashtra bar owners demand rollback of drinking age hike - Jun 01, 2011
- United Breweries launches locally brewed Heineken beer - Sep 13, 2011
- Japanese cuisine and liquor showcased at Matsuri festival - Mar 31, 2012
- Brit brewer brews the bitterest beer ever! - Mar 20, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,