Pakistan all set to overtake Britain as world’s fifth largest nuke powerFebruary 22nd, 2011 - 1:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 22 (ANI): Pakistan is all set to overtake Britain as the world’s fifth largest nuclear power as it has increased its nuclear weapons stockpile by nearly 40 percent in last two years, having more than 100 deployed weapons.
American intelligence agencies believe that Pakistan now has more than 100 deployed nuclear weapons, an increase of nearly 40 per cent in two years.
This makes Pakistan the fifth largest nuclear arsenal power behind the United States, Russia, France and China.
Four years ago, the Pakistani arsenal was estimated at 30 to 60 weapons. Based on the analysis done by the US recently, accelerated production of plutonium and highly enriched uranium, Islamabad may now have an arsenal of up to 110 weapons, the Daily Mail reports.
Many of these have been miniaturised to be mounted on ballistic missiles with ranges of more than 1,245 miles bringing many Indian cities within reach.
The weapons have been kept at depots all over Pakistan - some are said to be near the main air bases.
The revelation of the growing size of its nuclear weapons will throw the spotlight on the massive aid packages given to Islamabad by the West, especially the US.
The Pakistan military has said that it needs more nuclear weapons to counter and deter India’s more conventional military might.
The two countries conducted nuclear tests in 1998, and have fought three wars since partition and independence in 1947. (ANI)
- Pakistan's nuclear arsenal, a headache for Obama: NYT - Feb 01, 2011
- Pak's nuke arms expansion posing direct challenge to US policy: Report - Feb 01, 2011
- India, Pakistan continue to amass nukes: SIPRI - Jun 07, 2011
- 'Rapidly expanding' Pak arsenal now possesses over 100 deployed nuke weapons: Expert - Jan 31, 2011
- Pakistan has 100 n-weapons; edges ahead of India: Report - Jan 31, 2011
- Pakistan has increased nuke warheads to 90: report - Sep 01, 2009
- Should India worry about Pakistan's n-arsenal? Experts differ (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Don't worry, India's deterrence is robust: Pokhran II scientist - Jan 31, 2011
- Pak nuke build-up has US anxious and worried: NYT editorial - Feb 22, 2011
- Pakistan test-fires n-capable missile (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Pak's insistence on India-type nuke deal may further strain testy ties with US - Oct 16, 2010
- Pakistan to become world's fourth-largest nuclear arsenal state by end of decade: Expert - Mar 31, 2011
- Pakistan has bigger nuke arsenal than India: Report - Aug 02, 2010
- US report reveals Pak enhancing nuke weapon capability to target India - Sep 01, 2009
- Pakistan has more nukes than India: Report - Nov 18, 2009
Tags: american intelligence, ballistic missiles, daily mail, indian cities, intelligence agencies, islamabad, london feb, mail reports, massive aid, nuclear arsenal, nuclear power, nuclear tests, nuclear weapons stockpile, nuke power, pakistan military, partition, plutonium, revelation, spotlight, uranium