Pak to review visa policy for US officials and diplomats following Davis fiascoFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 4:34 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Feb 23(ANI): The Pakistan government has reportedly decided to review its visa policy for US officials and diplomats, and withdraw special powers granted to the country’s Ambassador in Washington, Hussain Haqqani, following the sticky Raymond Davis episode.
According to the Nation, the Foreign Affairs Ministry and the Interior Ministry have strictly been directed by the Prime Minister’s Secretariat to immediately update the data about the presence of US personnel in Pakistan.
“Neither the government nor the public can afford the repeat of such episode,” a top Foreign Ministry official said.
“Now the era of special protocol for US spying network in Pakistan is over,” another official added.
Sources further disclosed that approximately 3000 visas had been issued between July 14 to December 31, 2010, to US officials and diplomats by the Pakistan Embassy in Washington.
“It can be well-imagined that how much damage must had been done to our national interest after the Prime Minister empowered Haqqani to issue visas to US officials and diplomats arbitrarily and without administrative approval from Pakistan,” an Interior Ministry official said. (ANI)
- Pak likely to replace Haqqani as Pak envoy to US - Mar 26, 2011
- Pak Interior Minister says Davis came on diplomatic passport - Feb 22, 2011
- Pak Govt to tell court Davis doesn't enjoy blanket immunity: Sources - Mar 13, 2011
- Pak fully aware of held American's CIA antecedents - Feb 22, 2011
- ISI halts talks with CIA at all levels over being treated as "their lackeys" - Feb 24, 2011
- Another US national sent to jail in Pakistan - Feb 26, 2011
- US makes all decisions in own favour: Pak envoy - Apr 22, 2011
- Taliban warn to whisk away PPP leaders if Pak Govt allows Davis to go scot-free - Feb 25, 2011
- Murder-accused US official's file not tampered with: Malik - Feb 13, 2011
- Pak Foreign Ministry has no records on Davis' diplomatic immunity status: DAG - Mar 15, 2011
- US suspends bilateral engagements with Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Davis case mishandled by interior ministry: Qureshi (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Pak court extends double murder-accused US diplomat's remand till Feb 11 - Feb 03, 2011
- Pakistan government in a fix over Davis issue - Feb 22, 2011
- CIA mulls targeting Pak envoys abroad as reprisal against Davis' continued detention - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: administrative approval, ambassador, december 31, diplomats, embassy in washington, fiasco, foreign affairs ministry, foreign ministry, hussain, interior ministry, july 14, ministry official, national interest, pakistan embassy in washington, pakistan government, prime minister, raymond davis, secretariat, visa policy, visas