Pak Supreme Court bench rejects imposition of Provisional Constitutional OrderNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:23 am ICT by admin
The apex court bench said the emergency cannot be imposed and the PCO could not be issued.
It has also been said in the decision that no judge and chief justice of the Supreme Court and High Courts can take oath under the new PCO.Under this decision, all corps commanders, chief of army staff and all civil and military officials have been bound that they would not abide by any order of the government which go against the constitution or the law.
The prime minister and the president have been made parties in the decision.
The chief justice and all members of the bench are present in the building of the Supreme Court while the chief justice called the IG Islamabad in connection with cordoning off the Supreme Court building and the stopping of the media from entering the building but he did not appear, The News reported.
The bench said that it would make every such decision which would be in accordance with the law and the Constitution and nobody would be allowed to break the law.
The Musharraf regime has reportedly set a deadline of 11 p.m.for concerned officials to sign the PCO. (ANI with inputs)
- Gilani's seven minutes before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- PM Gilani has committed contempt, rules court (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Evidence submitted in Gilani's contempt case - Feb 22, 2012
- Gilani reaches Supreme Court - Apr 26, 2012
- Pak Supreme Court directs sitting PCO judges 'not to issue any judicial orders' - Feb 18, 2011
- Pak SC judge writes dissenting note in Mukhtaran Mai gangrape case - Apr 22, 2011
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Gilani, in Supreme Court, backs Zardari (Evening Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Hajj corruption scandal: Pak SC cracks down on investigating agency - Jan 12, 2011
- Zardari has immunuity as president, Gilani tells Supreme Court (Night Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Gilani to appear before Supreme Court for sentencing - Apr 25, 2012
- Gilani gets lawyer in contempt case (Evening Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Pakistan PM has committed contempt, says court (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- Contempt case: SC to decide Gilani's fate Thursday (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: accordance with the law, apex court, army staff, chief justice of the supreme court, chief of army, constitution, corps commanders, ghulam, high courts, ig, javed iqbal, justice of the supreme court, musharraf regime, officials, pco, supreme court bench