Pak set to witness tumultuous days: Voice of AmericaNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:08 am ICT by admin
“If it says the president cannot run because of him becoming an army chief, the elections will be held ineffective because we do not have a second candidate who has won any considerable support in the assemblies. So, the elections have to be re-held,” Khan said.
Middle East and Security Studies professor at the US Army War College Larry Goodson maintains that in the past, the courts in Pakistan have tended to side with the military against civilian officials.
An anti-Musharraf ruling is “possible, but not likely” and the military is exerting heavy pressure on the apex court, Goodson said.
“I just have this queasy feeling that the fix is in, that they have already locked and cocked and put the guns to the heads of the justices and basically said, ‘You cannot rule in that way’,” he added.
Former State Department South Asia analyst Walter Andersen said that an anti-Musharraf court ruling, along with Benazir’s high-profile return from exile, might tempt the president to tighten his grip on power.
“That puts him in a very dangerous position. My feeling is that he might declare martial law under those circumstances. He also might declare martial law if people come into the streets, even if the courts rule in his favour, if violence escalates in one way or the other significantly,” he said. (ANI)
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Bangladesh court invalidates ex-military ruler's laws - May 15, 2011
- Pakistan court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf - Feb 13, 2011
- Country stands by Supreme Court, says Imran Khan - Jan 16, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Contempt of court: Gilani set to appear before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Purno Sangma to file election petition Tuesday - Aug 18, 2012
- Musharraf may be returning to his own grief: Daily - Jan 26, 2012
- Sangma to file election petition Tuesday (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- FIA sends Musharraf's arrest warrant to Pak High Commission in London - Mar 07, 2011
- Ordinance to protect Gilani's actions challenged - Jun 26, 2012
- Pakistan court declares Musharraf 'proclaimed offender' - May 30, 2011
- Gilani gets lawyer in contempt case (Evening Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- 'Defiant' Musharraf ready to take on Pak SC head-on if summoned - May 20, 2010
- Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: ali khan, apex court, army war college, benazir, civilian officials, dangerous position, elections, larry goodson, martial law, musharraf, president, professor, return from exile, security studies, south asia analyst, tumultuous days, us army, washburn university