‘Pak SC will not be influenced by martial law threats’November 14th, 2007 - 8:17 am ICT by admin
Petitioner’s counsel Aitzaz Ahsen had drawn the apex court’s attention towards the widely reported warning by the government officials and ministers that an emergency or martial law could be imposed if the court’s decision went against Musharraf, the Daily Times reported.
Justice Iqbal observed that the statements made by the ministers and officials should not be taken seriously.
Ahsan accused the Musharraf regime’s counsel of deliberately trying to keep the case going on beyond schedule, adding, it only shows that “government has changed its strategy and there’s something wrong behind the scenes”.
Earlier, Attorney General Malik Qayyum contended that Article 41/6 of the Constitution barred the apex court from hearing such petitions.
However, Justice Khalilur Rehman Ramday and Justice Javed Buttar were of opinion that the SC had the jurisdiction to intervene into such cases. (ANI)
- Gilani contempt: Court summons top official - Feb 28, 2012
- Gilani gets lawyer in contempt case (Evening Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- No contempt proceedings if president has immunity: Pakistani court - Feb 01, 2012
- Gilani verdict to be appealed: Minister - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- PM Gilani has committed contempt, rules court (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Gilani's appeal in contempt case rejected by apex court - Feb 10, 2012
- Contempt of court: Supreme Court adjourns till Feb 1 - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistan PM has committed contempt, says court (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Pakistan's emergency era judges apologise to apex court - Oct 13, 2009
- A first: Pakistani PM indicted for contempt (Fourth Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Pakistani PM files appeal in contempt of court - Feb 08, 2012
- Supreme Court warns Gilani of another contempt notice - Mar 29, 2012
- Can't write letter against Zardari: Gilani's counsel to court - Mar 21, 2012
- In a first for Pakistan, PM indicted for contempt (Third Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: ahsan, apex court, behind the scenes, deliberately, government officials, iqbal, javed, justice, malik, martial law, ministers, musharraf regime, pak sc, petitioner, petitions, rehman, something wrong