‘Pak SC can intervene in presidential poll’November 14th, 2007 - 8:14 am ICT by admin
“Aren’t we intervening every day on issues like traffic jams and price hike or has other matters or the election of the President become so unimportant that we should not intervene,” he observed.
“It had already been held by the courts that technicalities never deterred the judiciary from dispensing justice”, Ramday added.
Justice Ramday’s remarks came when Attorney-General Malik Mohammad Qayyum, presenting his arguments on the petitions’ maintainability, said the court should not be bogged down with the idea of enforcing fundamental rights by enlarging its jurisdiction when the petitioners had not pointed out infringement of any fundamental right.
The chances of a ruling on the petitions on Friday diminished when Qayyum told the court that he would conclude his arguments on Thursday and Musharraf’s counsel Sharifuddin Pirzada and Central Government’s lawyer Waseem Sajjad would need one day each to complete their arguments.
Lawyer Aitzaz Ahsan, the counsel for the petitioner, also wanted the right of reply to points raised by the respondents.
Earlier, Justice Iqbal suggested that the court expected to give a decision by Friday, but hinted at resuming the hearing from November 12 if the case was not completed. (ANI)
- Sindh High Court reserves verdict on Musharraf's high treason trial - Aug 18, 2010
- Pakistan attorney general turns abusive in Supreme Court - Jun 15, 2012
- PM Gilani has committed contempt, rules court (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
- Sindh High Court issues notices to Musharraf, Qayyum - Apr 15, 2009
- Former SCBA president offers to buy Musharraf return ticket to face music back home - Oct 30, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear pleas against gay sex in April (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Plea seeks spot for peaceful protests in Delhi - Aug 16, 2011
- Sindh High Court issues notice against Musharraf, former associates in treason case - Mar 27, 2009
- Pakistan's emergency era judges apologise to apex court - Oct 13, 2009
- Delhi High Court rejects plea seeking spot for peaceful protests - Aug 17, 2011
- Apex court dismisses plea to stay Rajoana's death sentence (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Musharraf seeks legal help after Supreme Court summons him - Jul 23, 2009
- Apex court declines to stay Lokpal Bill notification - Apr 29, 2011
- Plea on right to property dismissed - Oct 18, 2010
- Court adjourns hearing on Jagan's assets - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: ahsan, bogged down, deterred, fundamental right, fundamental rights, iqbal, justice, lawyer, maintainability, musharraf, pak sc, petitions, presidential poll, price hike, rehman, right of reply, sajjad, technicalities, traffic jams, waseem