Pak-origin teen girl in US runs away to escape arranged marriage back homeApril 16th, 2011 - 1:51 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 16 (ANI): A Pakistani-origin teenage girl reportedly ran away from her parent’s home in Skokie, Illinois, to avoid an arranged marriage back home.
Sixteen-year-old Zaineb Chaudhary was last seen on March 11 at Niles North High School in Skokie, United States, Fox News reports.
According to an officer of the Skokie Police Department, Zaineb’s father had gone to Pakistan to arrange a marriage for his daughter.
“He has stated that he was there, looking for marriage arrangement for his daughter,” he said.
He also expressed fears that the girl’s family might view her disappearance as a disgrace, adding that the police department would protect her from any possible “honor crime.”
“She can come to us and we’re going to make sure that she’s taken care of and that she can feel safe while returning or contact us,” Jacobsen said. “We have a girl, raised here in the United States, being raised here in a different culture than where her parents are from, trying to accept the Western ways here,” Jacobsen added.
Authorities believe the girl may have posed as a 19-year-old on a social networking site so that she could escape to El Monte, California, with a 39-year-old man she met online.
The man is reportedly being questioned by police there. (ANI)
- Pakistani parents found guilty of killing teenaged daughter - Aug 03, 2012
- Headless Torso Found in 16 Pieces Across Delhi - Sep 03, 2012
- Missing US girl, 13, fled her home 'to avoid arranged marriage in Pakistan' - Mar 04, 2011
- Pakistani tortured by relatives in Britain - Mar 31, 2012
- Youth arrested for trying to rape minor - Feb 18, 2012
- Disabled Bengali woman's marriage to be annulled - Aug 17, 2012
- British girl has contraceptive implant at school - Feb 09, 2012
- Honour killing: Man guns down sister in Islamabad - Jul 20, 2012
- Search on for abandoned girl's parents in Rajasthan - May 23, 2012
- Minor basketball player saved from marriage - Jul 06, 2011
- Two held for molesting minors in Bengal - Sep 02, 2012
- Honour killings have no place in Canada: Minister - Jul 13, 2010
- Kashmir police deny finding missing British girl (Third Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- A dying girl who wants to do 250 things - Sep 03, 2011
- Cops take woman to husband in Kerala, parents cry foul (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: authorities, different culture, disappearance, disgrace, el monte, fears, fox news, jacobsen, march 11, marriage, niles north high school, old man, pakistan, pakistani origin, parents, skokie illinois, skokie police department, social networking site, teen girl, teenage girl