Pak-origin Brit Tory Councilor charged with bigamyAugust 5th, 2010 - 12:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 5(ANI): A 52-year-old Pakistan-origin British Conservative party leader has been charged with bigamy.
Slough Borough Councilor Pervez Choudhry was arrested on Monday and later released on bail.
“A 52-year-old man has been charged with one count of bigamy. He was charged on Monday,” The Telegraph quoted a Thames Valley Police spokesman, as saying.
“Pervez Choudhry of Tuns Lane, Slough, has been bailed to appear before Maidenhead Magistrates’ Court on August 9,” he added.
Peter Dale-Gough, the acting leader of the Conservative group on Slough Borough Council, said that Choudhry had told him that he took part in a religious ceremony with his first wife, but never went through with the civil ceremony and was therefore not married by law.
His is said to have met his second while using an online dating site, and later married her in Pakistan.
She currently lives in Birmingham, and is thought to have left Choudhury on learning that his previous marriage may not have legally ended.
Meanwhile, Choudhry has vowed to clear his name, after agreeing to stand down as the Conservatives’ leader.
“I can’t comment on the context of the case, but I can say without any hesitation that I have done nothing illegal and I’m vigorously going to defend that,” Choudhrysaid.
“We have decided that I am going to step down and retake my responsibilities when I clear my name,” he added. (ANI)
- Musharraf's 'unofficial asylum' in London raises stink among Muslims - Sep 10, 2009
- Briton serving jail for biting wife, finds new fiancee - Jul 25, 2012
- Liveried soldiers, Pak commandos guarding Musharraf in London - Sep 10, 2009
- Naked British wanderer courts freedom - Aug 11, 2012
- British man jailed for biting wife's nose - Mar 25, 2012
- Doodle your feelings, three-year-olds told in Britain - Jul 05, 2010
- Hundreds of gay, lesbian couples say "I do" in New York (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- 'Pranab's son wants to fill father's Lok Sabha seat' - Jul 24, 2012
- ULFA chairman Rajkhowa released from jail (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- 'Strictly Come Dancing' experience gave me confidence to join TV industry: Gough - Dec 25, 2010
- Meghalaya's married job seekers need to give wedlock proof - Aug 08, 2011
- H.D. Kumaraswamy survives bigamy charge - Apr 09, 2012
- Bored lottery winner in Britain drinks himself to death - Oct 25, 2010
- Goa gets new minister, Mickky key suspect in death - Jun 08, 2010
- No further arrests yet in Assam girl molestation case - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: bigamy, brit, british conservative party, choudhry, civil ceremony, conservative group, conservative party leader, conservatives, dating site, first wife, hesitation, lane slough, magistrates court, old man, police spokesman, religious ceremony, slough borough council, thames valley police, tory, tuns