Pak lawmakers refuse to become SC judgesNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:15 am ICT by admin
The legal advisers also advised Musharraf to get his eligibility case decided from the 11-member Supreme Court bench as it was before the proclamation of emergency to avoid future legal or constitutional hassles, the channel reported.
Earlier, a majority of the senior judges in Pakistan have rejected the Provisional Constitution Order (PCO) issued by Musharraf, and refused to take oath under the new quasi-martial law emergency set-up.
The Sindh High Court judges rejected the new order overwhelmingly as only four out of 28 judges took oath under the new PCO.
In Punjab, 16 out of 31 judges refused to join the new set-up while only 13 judges took oath. The decision of the remaining two was not known.
In the Supreme Court in Islamabad, only four judges took oath, including Justice Hamid Dogar who was inducted at a special ceremony as the new Chief Justice.
Three others who joined him were Justice Abbasi, Justice Khokhar and Justice Buttar.
Though all the five judges of the Balochistan High Court, including its Chief Justice, took oath under the PCO, six judges of the NWFP High Court, including the Chief Justice, refused to do so.
Never before has there been such a huge forced exodus of judges from the superior courts, The News reported. (ANI)
- Few Pakistan high court judges denotified - Aug 08, 2011
- Pak Supreme Court directs sitting PCO judges 'not to issue any judicial orders' - Feb 18, 2011
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Pak SC approached to 'hang' Musharraf for subversion of Constitution - Jan 21, 2011
- Government asked to finalise policy on ex-judges' advice - Feb 29, 2012
- Pak Supreme Court dismisses PCO judges case objections - Dec 13, 2010
- Musharraf seeks legal help after Supreme Court summons him - Jul 23, 2009
- Majority of Pak judges refuse to take oath under new PCO - Nov 14, 2007
- Musharraf fails to appear in Pakistan Supreme Court - Jul 30, 2009
- Karnataka judge Bannurmath denies governor's charges - Feb 07, 2012
- Judicial people should head information panels: SC (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Pak Attorney General says Parliament can approve Musharraf's trial - Aug 03, 2009
- Karnataka given two days to start ombudsman appointment process - Jul 23, 2012
- Pak Chief Justice to decide if Musharraf should be prosecuted for defying SC order - Feb 03, 2011
- Three new judges join Delhi High Court (Lead) - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: abbasi, balochistan, geo news, high court judges, islamabad, legal advisers, new chief justice, nwfp, pco, president pervez musharraf, provisional constitution, sc judges, sindh high court, supreme court bench, vacant seats