Pak journo says US mediation may help break India, Pak logjamJuly 2nd, 2008 - 3:25 pm ICT by ANI
London , July 2 (ANI): A senior Pakistani journalist based in London has said that US could act as an interlocutor between India and Pakistan , because the countries do not trust each other.
But, also said that India still does not trust the US and considers it more tilted towards Pakistan .
India and Pakistan needed an interlocutor, a go-between to mediate between them because they did not trust each other and in his opinion the US was in the best position to play that role, though at present India does not trust the US and believes it is still tilted towards Pakistan, the Dawn quoted Fareed Zakaria, editor of Newsweek International, as saying in London.
He added: If you could manage to ease up between India and Pakistan to the point that they could simply trade with one another it would transform South Asia, transform Pakistan which today is locked out of this huge economy right next door.
He further said that for this to happen the US needed to play the role of honest broker, but that it could hope to do only if it developed good relations with India , I am not predicting that it would happen, but what I am saying is it is happy scenario for South Asia , said Zakaria. (ANI)
- Obama expresses condolences, but no apology to Pakistan - Dec 05, 2011
- India, China partners in development: Chinese consul general - Jul 25, 2012
- Mystery shrouds former Pak intelligence officer's killing - May 03, 2010
- Fareed Zakaria pays the price for plagiarising (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- 9 die in second attack on Fazlur Rehman after WikiLeaks expose (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- US, Arab world patronising Taliban: Pakistani leader - Feb 20, 2011
- 'US focus on Asia-Pacific will help India contain China' - Jun 08, 2012
- JUI-F chief offered to mediate between US, Taliban during 2007 India visit: WikiLeaks - Apr 01, 2011
- "Pak's nuclear weapons are secure": Musharraf - Nov 16, 2010
- Call for liberalising trade and travel in South Asia (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Abu Jindal's arrest exposes Pakistani role: US expert - Jun 27, 2012
- Dialogue with Pakistan only way forward: PM (Lead) - Mar 05, 2010
- Let not political differences affect South Asia integration: India (Roundup) - Mar 09, 2012
- Saudi can be interlocutor, not mediator: Tharoor (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Indian Americans are influential players in US media - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: dawn, economy, fareed zakaria, honest broker, india and pakistan, interlocutor, journo, logjam, london, mediation, newsweek, newsweek international, pakistan india, pakistani journalist, relations with india, South Asia