Pak High Commission gets 3,450 visa requests for Guru Nanak’s birth anniversaryNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:31 am ICT by admin
The SGPC had asked the Sikh community in India to submit applications latest by November 8 so that papers could be easily processed for the visa, the Daily Times reported.
The daily quoted SGPC chief Sardar Avtar Singh Makkar as saying that the Pakistan High Commission had told the committee that complete applications would be granted visas.
Delhi Gurdawara Management Committee (DGMC) chief Sardar Paramjeet Singh Sarna said the committee had submitted more than 500 applications to the Pakistan High Commission, adding that about 700 more applications would be submitted in a few days.
Sarna further said that about 2,000 applications were sent to the committee for visas, but as some of them were incomplete, applicants had been asked to submit the remaining documents.
Sources in Bhai Mardana Society said that about 350 applications had been submitted to the commission for visas.
Around 700 individuals have also submitted visa applications and pilgrims from various cities, including Jammu and Kashmir, Haryana and Kolkata were expected to visit Pakistan on the occasion, sources added.
As per the policy agreed between India and Pakistan, 3,200 Sikhs visit Pakistan to participate in Sikh festivals. But on the demand of Sikhs for an open visa policy, more than 5,000 Indian Sikh pilgrims are expected to arrive by special trains on November 21, the paper said. (ANI)
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- No changes in SGPC election norms, government clarifies - Sep 02, 2011
- Sikh advocate brutally beaten, forced to convert to Islam in Pakistan - Nov 28, 2009
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
- Sehajdhari Sikhs want cancellation of SGPC poll - Dec 21, 2011
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
- Sikh delegation meets Pak PM in Lahore, takes up flexible visa issue demand - Nov 27, 2010
- 'Incumbent SGPC president to run affairs of body' - Mar 30, 2012
- Visiting Sikh delegation to cut short its religious trip to Pakistan - Oct 11, 2009
- Ajay Devgn agrees to cut objectionable dialogue from 'Son of Sardar' - Sep 04, 2012
- Non-baptised Sikhs can vote in SGPC polls: Court - Dec 20, 2011
- PCB gets Pak WC cricketers' visas for India cleared in advance - Feb 26, 2011
- Sikhs in Pakistan protest against plaza construction on gurdwara land - Mar 24, 2011
- Court refuses to stay Sep 18 SGPC poll - Sep 06, 2011
- Keep away from Sikh religious matters, Badal tells Congress - Jun 24, 2010
Tags: avtar singh, birth anniversary, committee, guru nanak, India, jammu and kashmir, pakistan high commission, sardar, sarna, sgpc chief, sikh community, sikh festivals, sikh pilgrims, sikhs, visa policy, visa requests, visas