Pak Govt. to provide extra security to BenazirNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:02 am ICT by admin
This move comes following a fresh security threat issued by a pro-Taliban insurgent leader Baitullah Mehsud to target Benazir,
“We have written a letter to the government asking for police protection for Benazir because of the precarious law and order situation in the country,” her lawyer Farooq Naek said.
“We have not yet decided whether to hire a private security firm for her protection as well,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) leaders met the Sindh chief secretary and police chief in Karachi to discuss security arrangements for Benazir’s reception rally.
“The rally’s route and possible arrangements were discussed at the meeting,” said Nisar Khuhro, opposition leader in the Sindh Assembly.
PPP sources told Daily Times that at least 200 PPP volunteers would be assigned to security detail around the vehicle carrying Benazir on October 18. (ANI)
- Sindh Assembly wants Pak Govt to recommend Bhatti's name for Nobel Prize - Mar 15, 2011
- Gilani visits Benazir grave - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan remembers Benazir Bhutto - Dec 27, 2011
- Bhutto's security was Musharraf govt's responsibility: Malik - Apr 25, 2010
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Hindu member of Pak Sindh Assembly flees to India for safety after getting life threats - Jan 30, 2011
- Will bring Benazir killers to justice: Nawaz Sharif - Dec 11, 2011
- Rehman Malik had significant role in Bhutto's security management: Report - Apr 19, 2010
- Musharraf charged with providing Baitullah with 'opportunity to murder Benazir' - Feb 12, 2011
- Anti-Terrorism Court issues arrest warrant for Musharraf in Benazir murder case - Feb 12, 2011
- PPP senator wants passenger of Benazir's backup car to be questioned - May 12, 2010
- Musharraf knew of plot to kill Benazir, reveals probe - Feb 10, 2011
- PPP to seek 'stern' action against Musharraf following UN Benazir assassination report - Apr 18, 2010
- Hindu legislator resigns in Pakistan - Jan 29, 2011
- Pak Govt bound to protect Benazir: Sindh HC - Nov 14, 2007
Tags: aftab, benazir, chief secretary, extra security, farooq, insurgent leader, interior minister, nisar, opposition leader, pak govt, police protection, ppp, precarious, rally, security arrangements, security detail, security firm, security threat, sindh, target