Pak Govt mulls options as SC resumes hearing on Musharraf’s eligibilityNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:23 am ICT by admin
They said that presidential aides not only discussed the issue of Musharraf’s candidature, but also the petition filed by former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif seeking contempt proceedings against government high-ups for violating the apex court’s decision.
There is a realisation in the official camp that the issue was not properly tackled in the light of court orders and it may cause embarrassment for the government, sources added.
Sources said that the government’s claims of not imposing an emergency or martial law in the country would evaporate if there is an adverse judgement on the above-mentioned pending cases.
The Nation quoted a government official as saying that if martial law is imposed this time, it would be under a civil martial law administrator as it happened in the 1970s when Zulfikar Ali Bhutto took over the reigns from General Yahya Khan.
One of the ministers told Musharraf that private electronic channels are reluctant to invite government representatives to their talk shows, sources said.
Musharraf was almost convinced on this point, when Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Sher Afgan intervened and apprised Musharraf of the factual situation. (ANI)
- Musharraf to return to Pak to join unified Muslim League, not for presidency: Pir Pagara - Sep 23, 2010
- Presidential polls: BJP woos Jayalalithaa, NDA to meet Friday (Third Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP, AIADMK to coordinate on presidential poll: Advani (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Advani, Jayalalithaa to 'coordinate' on presidential polls (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Pakistan facing civil war-like situation: Musharraf - Dec 11, 2009
- Pak political parties ridicule "coward" Musharraf's decision to rejoin politics - Sep 12, 2010
- Can't forge signature, says Pranab; Team Sangma to move court (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- Team will move SC if Sangma loses presidential poll - Jul 11, 2012
- SC trashes plea against Pranab, warns petitioner (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Mitra meets Pranab, says discussions incomplete - Jun 11, 2012
- Musharrafs fate no different from three earlier dictators Ayub, Yahya, Zia - Aug 19, 2008
- Antony meets Karunanidhi ahead of presidential polls (Lead) - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: afgan, apex court, apprised, cause embarrassment, contempt proceedings, electronic channels, factual situation, former prime minister, government representatives, government sources, martial law, minister nawaz sharif, musharraf, pak govt, parliamentary affairs, presidential aides, prime minister nawaz, ups, yahya khan, zulfikar ali bhutto