Pak Government divided over polling datesNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:37 am ICT by admin
According to the Daily Times, PML-Q President Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain and his associates wanted the elections to be held on time with a minor adjustment in the schedule, but Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz is secretly lobbying to delay the general elections.
The general elections cannot be announced till the Presidency achieves its targets for which it had imposed the emergency and issued the Provisional Constitutional Ordinance (PCO) in the first place, said sources.
The main target of the government behind the imposition of emergency, which drew international flak, was the validation of Musharraf as an eligible candidate for the office of President through the Supreme Court (SC), the added.
Earlier, an 11-member bench was hearing the case of the President. Now the government would be looking for either 11 or 12-member bench to accomplish the validity of Musharraf as an eligible candidate.
As such the primary task of the government is to ensure the induction of as many judges into the SC with a view to facilitating the Chief Justice of Pakistan to constitute a larger bench to take up the petition of Musharraf’s eligibility.
Talking about President General Pervez Musharraf’s army uniform, the sources said, “The decision on the uniform and general elections will be taken within this week.”
“It is now a different situation. Musharraf has not given any date after the imposition of emergency,” a senior official said.
Musharraf is likely to address the nation again over the weekend, sources informed.
“A state of emergency has already been imposed in the country and the Constitution is in abeyance. This may affect the schedule for the general elections,” the official said. (ANI)
- PML-Q to get Deputy PM post, several ministries on joining PPP-led Pak Govt: Report - Apr 30, 2011
- Musharraf's supporters in disarray after talks with PML-Q chief fail - May 25, 2010
- Corruption, lack of governance threaten Pakistan government - Sep 18, 2010
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Benazir's 'assassin' being made Pakistan's Deputy PM: Qureshi - May 01, 2011
- PPP, PML-Q strike power-sharing deal - May 02, 2011
- PML-Q shuns Musharraf, says 'it has nothing to do with him' - Jul 29, 2009
- Pakistan's ruling party, PML-Q try to corner Nawaz Sharif - Oct 27, 2010
- PML-N files charge sheet against Musharraf, demands trial for treason - Oct 12, 2010
- Meeting between Zardari, Nawaz expected soon: Raja Riaz - Nov 25, 2010
- Gilgit-Baltistan PML-Q candidates' use Musharraf's face in campaigning - Nov 09, 2009
- What's in a name? Ask Musharraf and Pir Pagara! - Sep 21, 2010
- Musharraf 'shedding crocodile tears', says ex- Pak SCBA chief - Sep 19, 2009
- "Somebody's silence" made Musharraf resign from presidency: Shujaat Hussain - Nov 14, 2010
- Musharraf asks close aides to assemble in Abu Dhabi to discuss future course of action - Jan 17, 2010
Tags: abeyance, army uniform, bench, chief justice of pakistan, different situation, drew international, election schedule, eligible candidate, general elections, general pervez musharraf, imposition, pakistan muslim league, pco, pml, president, shaukat aziz, target