Pak extremists threatened by Benazir-Musharraf deal: WSJNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:42 am ICT by admin
The WSJ also says that Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz’s declaration that the upcoming general elections would not be “hindered” despite the threat of terrorism is very encouraging.
However, on the Bhutto-Musharraf power-sharing plan, the editorial notes the problems inherent in it.
It says Musharraf must mollify critics within the ruling Pakistan Muslim League (Q), while Bhutto must persuade the PPP that Musharraf can be trusted to follow through on his promises.
The WSJ states that thus far, Musharraf has stuck to his word. He has signed an ordinance clearing Bhutto of corruption charges and has also pledged to step down as Army Chief before being sworn in as President.
The journal states that if everything goes according to plan and the Supreme Court verifies Musharraf’s victory in the presidential election and the Constitution is revised to allow Bhutto to legally run for a third term as Prime Minister, both leaders look ready to take the country toward democracy. (ANI)
- Don't put yourself in the line of fire, Daily tells Musharraf - Apr 19, 2011
- Non-bailable warrant for Musharraf in Bugti assassination case - Aug 16, 2012
- Keep away from Pakistan, daily tells Musharraf (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf - Feb 12, 2011
- Pakistan court seeks Musharraf for Bugti killing - Nov 01, 2011
- Musharraf is now an accused in Benazir killing - Feb 07, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Bhutto case: US journalist becomes witness - Sep 10, 2011
- Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani - Dec 28, 2011
- Musharraf knew of plot to kill Benazir, reveals probe - Feb 10, 2011
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Danger for Musharraf if proceedings commenced against him in Benazir murder case - Feb 11, 2011
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
Tags: according to plan, army chief, benazir, bhutto, corruption charges, democratic government, editorial notes, general elections, mollify, musharraf, pakistan muslim league, power sharing, ppp, presidential election, prime minister, religious extremists, shaukat aziz, wsj