Pak Army to launch major offensive in Waziristan before EidNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:02 am ICT by admin
“This will happen in the next few days before Eid,” they added.
The deployment of military personnel in North Waziristan is under way and will continue until the launch of the offensive, sources said, adding that the military had sealed the Pak-Afghan border to prevent militants from crossing the porous border on the order of the Peshawar corps commander.
North and South Waziristan and the frontier region of Bannu have been virtually cut off from other agencies in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA), the Daily Times quoted sources, as saying.
An Interior Ministry official said that the government had opted for the military offensive after losing hope that dialogue with the local Taliban would succeed, and in view of rising attacks by militants on security forces.
The Interior Ministry official confirmed that a “Lal Masjid-like offensive” would be launched in North Waziristan in the next few days, with the aim of clearing out the militants before the Eid holidays ended.
Sources also said that the Pakistan Government had appointed two officers to share intelligence information with NATO officials on the presence of foreign militants in North Waziristan to prevent their escape to Afghanistan.
They said tribal leaders of South and North Waziristan had helped the security forces identify the hideouts of foreign militants, mostly Uzbeks and Tajiks, holed up in the mountainous region. (ANI)
- Pakistan summons US diplomat to protest drone strikes - Aug 23, 2012
- 14 militants killed in Pakistan's tribal region - Jul 19, 2011
- Pakistan may delay Taliban operation - Nov 22, 2010
- Roadside bomb kills Pakistani soldier - Dec 31, 2011
- Pakistan likely to expand military operation in tribal area - Nov 23, 2009
- Five troopers killed in Pakistan suicide bombing - Dec 24, 2011
- US drone strike kills 4 in northwest Pakistan - Sep 01, 2012
- Pak Army admits majority of US drone attack casualties were terrorists, foreigners - Mar 09, 2011
- One killed in attack on Pakistani police station - Jul 16, 2012
- Curfew clamped in northwest Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- 13 killed in US drone attack in Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 19, 2010
- US patience on Pak's indecision on N.Waziristan operation running out, warns Joe Biden - Jan 13, 2011
- 4 security men killed in Pakistan rocket attack - Nov 05, 2011
- Unilateral incursion into Pakistan will be disastrous: daily - Oct 20, 2011
- Kayani vows to protect Pak tribesmen against all internal and external threats - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: afghan border, aim, eid, federally administered tribal areas, few days, frontier region, interior ministry, launch, losing hope, militants, ministry official, mountainous region, nato officials, north waziristan, pak army, pakistan government, security forces, share intelligence, south waziristan, tribal leaders