Pak, Afghan, US top commanders discuss prevailing situation along Pak-Afghan borderOctober 16th, 2008 - 3:25 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad , Oct 16 (ANI): Top military commanders from Pakistan , Afghanistan and NATO met here last evening for their first three-way talks since the US forces infuriated Pakistan last month with an attack on a border village.
The commanders also discussed the prevailing condition in the tribal areas along the Pakistan-Afghan border.
Pakistan Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, his Afghan counterpart Gen Bismullah Khan, and the commander of Afghanistan s NATO force, General David McKiernan, attended the talks, reported The News.
Cooperation between the military in Pakistan and Afghan and Western forces in Afghanistan is seen as vital as militant violence intensifies on both sides of the Afghan border. But, the US impatience has grown over what it sees as Pakistan s failure to eliminate the militant threat in remote sanctuaries on its side of the frontier.
The military commanders held a meeting of the Tripartite Commission at the GHQ in Rawalpindi to review security along the border, the paper quoted Pakistan military sources as saying.
While the forum expressed satisfaction at the current level of cooperation, it also discussed steps for better coordination and enhanced cooperation to avoid misunderstandings, the Pakistan Army said in the statement. (ANI)
- Pakistan, ISAF discuss border coordination - May 13, 2012
- Pak, Afghanistan and NATO military chiefs review security situation in tribal areas - Dec 30, 2009
- No joint anti-terror operation with US: Pakistan - Aug 18, 2012
- NATO commander meets Pakistan army chief - Sep 10, 2011
- ISAF commander to visit Pakistan Thursday - Aug 02, 2012
- Pakistan vows stiff retaliation if attacked again (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- ISAF commander meets Pakistan army chief (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Pakistan rethinks Afghan border security strategy - Dec 02, 2011
- Pakistan lodges protest with Afghanistan over attacks - Aug 28, 2011
- Gilani tells Karzai about militant activity along border - Jul 07, 2011
- Afghan, Pakistan, NATO officials discuss security issues - Oct 16, 2008
- Pakistan must not allow terrorists to use it: Panetta - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistan must not allow terrorists to use its territory: Panetta (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistan disagrees with US findings on NATO attack - Jan 24, 2012
- US military calls for more trust with Pakistan - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: afghan border, army chief, ashfaq, border village, counterpart, david mckiernan, ghq, military commanders, military sources, misunderstandings, nato, nato force, pakistan army, parvez, rawalpindi, sanctuaries, tribal areas, tripartite commission, us impatience, violence intensifies