Pak-Afghan-Tajik axis to combat terrorJuly 30th, 2009 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Dushanbe, July 30 (IANS) Pakistan, Afghanistan and Tajikistan Thursday vowed to cooperate in the fight against terrorism and organized crime and also strengthen their trade, energy and communication ties.
Agreement on this came at a trilateral meeting between Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Tajik President Emomali Rahmon at Varzob, a picturesque tourist resort some 40 km from here, APP news agency reported.
The three leaders, who also signed a joint declaration, discussed the prospects of further promoting friendly ties and cooperating on regional and international issues.
“Today we will write another page in the history of the region and bring the concept of regional ownership to the war in Afghanistan,” Zardari said at a joint press stakeout with the other two leaders after the meeting.
“We stand together and will face all eventualities,” Zardari added, pointing to the threats terrorists posed to national interests.
The three countries agreed that terrorism was a regional phenomenon that necessitated a comprehensive, concerted and coordinated approach with full participation of the states and local communities.
“Militancy, separatism, extremism and organized crimes undermine regional peace and stability and pose a threat to the security of all regional states,” a joint declaration signed by the three presidents said.
“Tajikistan, Afghanistan and Pakistan declare their readiness to cooperate in effectively addressing the menace of terrorism and organized crime,” the declaration added.
- India courts Tajikistan to swing Afghan endgame - Aug 31, 2012
- Zardari returns after China visit - Sep 03, 2011
- India, Tajikistan should jointly combat terror, boost ties: President - Sep 03, 2012
- India, Tajikistan to combat terror, cooperate on Afghanistan (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Clinton's visit a big event for Tajikistan - Oct 23, 2011
- India, Tajikistan upgrade ties, sign four pacts - Sep 03, 2012
- Zardari to visit China - Aug 26, 2011
- Medvedev seeks more cooperation with Afghanistan, Pakistan - Aug 19, 2010
- President Patil lauds Tajikistan's support in fight against terrorism - Sep 07, 2009
- Tajiks President bans donkeys from his sight - Aug 13, 2012
- Zardari, Karzai review bilateral ties - Sep 02, 2011
- Russia seeks cooperation with India over Afghanistan - Jul 22, 2009
- Krishna heads to Tajikistan to boost Central Asian ties - Jul 02, 2012
- Russia hopes to boost economic ties with Pakistan: Medvedev - Aug 19, 2010
- CIS leaders call for free trade deal, peaceful end to conflicts - Sep 03, 2011
Tags: afghan president hamid, afghan president hamid karzai, app news, asif ali zardari, axis, hamid karzai, national interests, news agency, organized crime, organized crimes, peace and stability, president hamid karzai, presidents, regional peace, regional phenomenon, regional states, stakeout, tajik president, tourist resort, war in afghanistan