Painting bought as junk worth 40 mn poundsMarch 25th, 2011 - 5:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 25 (IANS) A painting bought for only 100 pounds from a junk shop in Britain has been estimated at 40 million pounds.
The painting’s 100-pound price tag was only for its designer frame. The buyer on closer inspection noticed a signature in a corner. And under the scrawled name was the date 1854.
Experts say the piece - showing a house with an orange roof surrounded by trees next to a river - is reminiscent of the works of French artist Cezanne that could be worth 40 million pounds, said the Daily Mail.
The buyer, a man in his 30s from Northamptonshire who did not wish to be named, said he had removed the canvas from the frame and removed “decades of dirt” before examining it.
“I bought a book on post-impressionism and checked the signature and it looks exactly the same as on some of his (Cezanne’s) other paintings,” he said.
“To say I’m excited would be an understatement. I just bought it for the frame.”
Owner Tim Conrad of auction house Wilfords of Wellingborough said: “We are talking about 40 million pounds if not more, it would be a major event in the art world.”
Cezanne’s 1893 painting “Still Life With Curtain, Pitcher And Bowl Of Fruit” is one of the 10 most expensive paintings ever sold, going for 38 million pounds in 1999.
- Souza's tribute to Tagore highlight of Indian auction - Nov 23, 2010
- US gallery pays $4.6 mn at auction for Velazquez piece - Dec 08, 2011
- China's new millionaires buying up Britain - Jan 17, 2011
- Husain, Raza highlights of Sotheby's Asian art sale - May 18, 2011
- Brad Pitt buys graffiti art - Jun 23, 2012
- Raphael's The Madonna of the Pinks no 19th-century fake - Jun 11, 2010
- Claude Monet''s painting Dans La Prairie goes under the hammer next month - Jan 13, 2009
- Britain's rich painted themselves in uncharitable way - Feb 20, 2012
- Britain's Royal Mail sells off undelivered items - May 16, 2011
- Painting by Indian artist sold for a record price at London auction - Jun 12, 2010
- London apartment sells for $221 million - Apr 19, 2011
- Clumsy visitors posing threat to British art - Oct 30, 2011
- Kate Moss gives bedroom to stylist - Mar 24, 2012
- Kylie Minogue buys $25m London apartment - Apr 06, 2011
- US Court of Appeals affirms the sentence of former prosecutor - Apr 16, 2010
Tags: art world, artist cezanne, auction house, bowl of fruit, curtain, daily mail, designer frame, expensive paintings, french artist, junk shop, london march, march 25, northamptonshire, orange roof, owner tim, post impressionism, price tag, tim conrad, understatement, wellingborough