Oz’s flight attendants union calls for end to ’sex object’ adsJuly 3rd, 2010 - 2:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 3 (ANI): The Flight Attendants Association of Australia (FAAA) has called on airlines around the world to stop portraying them as sex objects in raunchy advertising campaigns.
The association said the risque airline ads were “demeaning” and that they increased the risk of airhostesses becoming victims of sexual harassment.
It cited the campaign promoted by a Russian regional airline, which garnered hundreds of thousands of hits on YouTube after it showed four air hostesses stripping before suggestively washing one of the carrier’s planes dressed in skimpy bikinis.
“This type of provocative advertising using cabin crew in this light is not tolerated in Australia and should not be acceptable anywhere else,” the Telegraph quoted Jo Ann Davidson, a union official, as saying.
“Such suggestive advertising portraying cabin crew as part of the product they are selling sends wrong messages and puts cabin crew at risk of sexual harassment and abuse,” she stated.
The FAAA said it would take up the issue of how hostesses are portrayed in ads with the International Transport Federation. It blamed male airline executives for commissioning the ads in the first place.
“It is a sad reflection of the attitude of the airlines’ executives, dare I say more than likely middle aged males, towards cabin crew, in particular female cabin crew, by portraying them in such a demeaning, distasteful and irrelevant manner,” Davidson added. (ANI)
- Raunchy ads 'put flight attendants at sexual abuse risk' - Jul 01, 2010
- Travel companies go back to risque adverts to boost sales - Oct 14, 2010
- Malaysia Airlines to hire cabin crew from Frankfinn - Jul 15, 2010
- Beyonce's raunchy perfume ad branded 'too hot for kids' - Nov 17, 2010
- Churchill Brothers threaten to sue Spice Jet (Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- Air India management can alter policy for workmen: Apex court - Nov 19, 2011
- Ex-flight attendant's suicide: Victim's photos, laptop seized - Aug 06, 2012
- Ryanair to axe pilots and train airhostesses to land in crisis - Sep 06, 2010
- Women's panel rules out sexual assault in mid-air scuffle (Lead) - Nov 17, 2009
- Air India co-pilot cleared in misbehaviour case - Oct 30, 2009
- Churchill Brothers team detained at Mumbai airport - Jan 05, 2010
- Haryana minister Gopal Kanda resigns - Aug 05, 2012
- Air India: The Great Divide Within - May 13, 2012
- NCW rules out sexual assault in mid-air scuffle - Nov 17, 2009
- Etihad woos Australian travellers - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: advertising campaigns, air hostesses, airline executives, airlines, cabin crew, faaa, flight attendants association, flight attendants association of australia, flight attendants union, hundreds of thousands, international transport federation, planes, regional airline, sad reflection, sex object, sex objects, sexual harassment, skimpy bikinis, telegraph, youtube