Oz woman sues UAE 5-star hotel after she was raped, jailed for sex outside marriageMarch 30th, 2011 - 5:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 30 (ANI): An Australian woman, who was drugged and raped by co-workers, has sued a five-star UAE hotel after she ended up in jail for eight months for having sex outside marriage.
Alicia Gali, 29, had her drink spiked and was raped by four co-workers at the luxury Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach Resort in the United Arab Emirates in June 2008.
She is seeking compensation from her former employer for breaching its workplace duty of care after she reported the assault to authorities, only to be jailed for eight months on an adultery charge.
Gali spent eight months in prison, as having sex outside marriage in the UAE is illegal.
Australian embassy staff advised Gali and her family not to go to the media during her time in custody, when she was locked in a cell with 30 other women.
Gali, who has since been pardoned and was released in March 2009, claims the hotel failed to protect staff against assault and its legal consequences.
She alleges the resort encouraged workers to drink illegally at its bar staff, despite strict laws and the requirement of drinking permits.
According to her lawyer Melissa Payne, the “harrowing” ordeal has since caused Gali severe post traumatic stress disorder, nightmares, flashbacks, depression and claustrophobia.
“I thought I would be safe and protected in an international hotel group. They didn’t give me the correct advice and didn’t help me when I was charged and imprisoned,” the Daily Mail quoted Gali as saying.
“I still feel angry and upset. It’s distressing because I was a victim in all this and I was punished. The UAE is being promoted hugely here as a tourism destination - they sponsor things here.
“They are not complying with human rights, women’s rights and migrant workers’ rights,” she stated.
Payne says the incident could have been avoided, as the hotel should have had segregated quarters for female employees and provide adequate induction training on the local laws and customs.
“When she reported the assault to the human resources manager he did not advise her of the potential consequences of reporting that assault,” Payne said.
“Alicia’s employer has let her down in the most terrible, terrible of ways. A company like this should know better. The resort promotes itself as paradise on Earth… it wasn’t paradise for Alicia.
“Alicia is very concerned there are other women who might find themselves in similar situations. She now feels brave enough to speak out,” Payne added.
Trey Maurice from the resort’s parent company Starwood Hotels, said safety and security of staff is a paramount priority.
He said the management of the resort was aware of the unfortunate circumstances and provided support and assistance to Gali and her family during her imprisonment.
Payne said Gali’s lawsuit against the resort was likely to take place in court in Queensland, Australia, but could possible happen in the UAE. (ANI)
- Australian rape victim sues her employer UAE hotel - Mar 30, 2011
- Oz woman jailed in UAE after complaining about being drugged, raped - Mar 27, 2011
- British soldier jailed for rape - Mar 10, 2012
- South African women raped for being lesbians - Nov 01, 2011
- Rapist priest's seven-year term upheld (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- 18-year-old girl alleges rape by co-worker - Jun 28, 2011
- Alleged Libyan rape victim says she was freed after medical test proved her story - Apr 05, 2011
- Five arrested for gangraping Gurgaon pub employee (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Man sentenced to death for raping nine in China - Feb 01, 2011
- Irish woman accused of raping female says she just kissed the victim - Dec 01, 2010
- Finnish woman raped in Delhi - Sep 03, 2011
- Father rapes daughter in west Delhi - May 19, 2012
- Indo-Canadian doctor held on drugging, rape charges - Feb 21, 2011
- Man admits pouring semen into female colleagues' drinking bottles - Nov 27, 2010
- Atlantic City cocktail waitresses fired for looking 'too old for skimpy outfits' - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,