Oz University rejects demand for Muslims” prayer roomMarch 23rd, 2009 - 4:07 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar.23 (ANI): The Melbourne-based RMIT University has said that it will not allow Muslim prayer rooms on its campus, leading dozens of Islamic students to announce a plan to protest today.
The students want a dedicated Muslim prayer room to replace an existing multi-faith centre at Melbourne’’s RMIT, but according to The Australian, acting pro vice-chancellor Maddy McMaster said it was not for universities to provide consecrated religious spaces.
“A university’’s responsibility to its students is to provide them with a quality education. Recognising that the educational experience is not confined to the classroom, RMIT offers other services, including prayer rooms. It falls to religious communities to provide the consecrated spaces,” she was quoted, as saying.
The dispute over prayer rooms at RMIT’’s Swanston Street campus began when a Muslim prayer room was demolished in late 2007 as part of renovations.
The university’’s Islamic student association claims it was promised new rooms but that the institution reneged on its promise by making them multi-faith. They are now campaigning to have the multi-faith rooms declared Muslim-only.
Organisers of the protest - which has the backing of the National Union of Students and the RMIT Student Union - say they have been left with no choice but to take action. (ANI)
- Muslims facing problems in Britain: Iranian student leader - Nov 02, 2011
- Catholic college in New Jersey provides "Hindu prayer space" - Apr 03, 2011
- Russia needs university to teach about Islam: official - Dec 07, 2010
- Christians-Muslims-Hindus-Buddhists-Jews-Baha'is to dialogue at University of Nevada-Reno - Feb 11, 2011
- Gayatri Mantra opened University of Nevada 'Inner-Faith Night' celebrations - Feb 25, 2011
- Room for Hindu prayers at Guangzhou Asian Games in China - Nov 09, 2010
- GPS technology helps improve weather forecasts - Jun 14, 2012
- Nation pays tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on Martyrs' Day - Jan 30, 2010
- Prince Charles claims abuse for promoting inter-faith dialogue - Apr 07, 2011
- Hindus laud prestigious Elon University over construction plans of multi-faith center - May 07, 2009
- Cameron wants Muslim clerics in Lords - Apr 25, 2011
- This Hyderabad mosque is more than a place of worship - Aug 12, 2012
- Malaysian PM seeks 'global movement of moderates' - May 17, 2011
- Islamic students at top UK university ' preaching hard-line extremism' - Oct 18, 2010
- India pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on Martyrs' Day (Lead) - Jan 30, 2010
Tags: educational experience, islamic student, islamic students, maddy, mcmaster, melbourne, multi faith centre, muslim prayer, muslims, national union of students, prayer room, prayer rooms, quality education, recognising, religious communities, religious spaces, reneged, rmit student union, swanston street, vice chancellor