Oz tourism body tells bikini clad meter maids to cover upMay 12th, 2010 - 4:35 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, May 12 (ANI): Australia’s meter maids are considering a proposal by the Gold Coast Tourism to move south, but have been told they need to cover up as their gold bikinis are “inappropriate” for business.
According to the Australian, Gold Coast Tourism spokesman Ben Pole said they were glad to help the maids, who had fallen on tough times after they were prevented from selling their calendars, keyrings and stubbie-holders.
However, if the authority were to begin sending them interstate, he said, they would need to fit in.
“If they’re providing information to visitors on the beachfront, it’s entirely appropriate for them to be wearing bikinis,” News.com.au quoted him as saying.
“If they’re at the Melbourne Convention Centre, that’s probably not appropriate attire,” he said.
Meter maid Pernilla Eriksson said the demand was “ridiculous”.
“Bikinis have been on the Gold Coast for over 50 years. Why wouldn’t you use them to promote the Gold Coast?” she stated.
Meter Maids chief Roberta Aitchison said she was keen to do a deal with the tourism authority.
“We will cover up to a certain extent, but we won’t cover up completely. Otherwise it’s a pointless exercise,” Aitchison, who is a former meter maid, said.
“We need to keep it sexy and summery and you don’t really do that in a corporate outfit - you do that in a bikini,” she added. (ANI)
- Chief 'meter maid' accuses Microsoft of telling fibs over promotional stunt - Aug 27, 2010
- Microsoft's stunt to hire 'meter maids' at geek conference backfires - Aug 26, 2010
- Robo-sex could be common in future - Oct 13, 2011
- Gold Coast bikini-clad women's "horse race" banned - Sep 30, 2010
- 'Rascals' -an unfunny comedy (IANS Movie Review - Rating: *1/2) - Oct 06, 2011
- North says nothing to hide from England ahead of Ashes - Nov 05, 2010
- 'Is there train from Fiji to NZ' among daftest questions from Oz tourists - Nov 09, 2010
- Speedo dumps Lara Bingle for ex Miss Universe Rachael Finch - Dec 03, 2010
- Katherine Heigl's baby daughter recovering after heart surgery - May 23, 2010
- India may find Australian conditions difficult: Warner - Dec 24, 2011
- Five Paralympic golds leave Savchenko incredulous - Sep 08, 2012
- Australia set to hold first bikini-clad women race on racecourse - Sep 28, 2010
- Soccer coach Eriksson 'duped into managing football minnows - Apr 19, 2011
- You can fidget your way to fitness - Jun 29, 2011
- Australia the top 'Chuppie' destination - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: aitchison, australian gold, bikini, bikinis, calendars, corporate outfit, extent, gold coast tourism, melbourne convention centre, meter maid, meter maids, news com au, pointless exercise, proposal, roberta, spokesman, stubbie holders, tough times, tourism authority, tourism body