Oz school gets laughter consultants for teachers!April 26th, 2009 - 11:11 am ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Apr 26 (ANI): A Queensland state school spent 1200 dollars teaching its teachers how to laugh.
While other schools are following suit and have paid for laughter ‘consultants’, eighty-two staff members from Maleny State High School took part in a two-hour “laughter therapy” session last Monday.
Opposition education spokesman Bruce Flegg has on April 24 accused the State Government of wasting “scarce” funds and teachers’ time.
“While parents juggle work and finding child-minding on a pupil-free day the teachers are being taught to laugh - this is a joke,” the Couriermail quoted him as saying.
“Queensland’s education standards are languishing and schools are in need of essential maintenance; the money should be going there and teachers should be treated professionally,” he said.
But Education Queensland, which covered the cost of the consultant through a grant to the school, said the laughter therapy was part of professional development activities that included a two-hour session on literacy.
“Some of the benefits of laughter therapy are improving well-being, reducing stress levels, and building trust, confidence and self esteem,” EQ said in a statement.
The school referred comment on the issue to the department. (ANI)
- British kids will get failed teachers - Dec 17, 2011
- 8 million children still out of school in RTE Act's first year (April 1 is the first anniversary of implementation of RTE Act) - Apr 01, 2011
- Google better at advising teachers than Scotland's curriculum body - Nov 06, 2010
- Australian school bans kids from hugging - Nov 17, 2010
- Asbestos in schools: Cancer threat to students - Jul 25, 2010
- IGNOU to train Kendriya Vidyalaya teachers - Mar 14, 2011
- Oz students threatened with detention for hugging - Nov 17, 2010
- Teachers in UK to bring back traditional reading tests - Nov 23, 2010
- Net privacy expert warns teachers not to befriend pupils on Facebook - Apr 25, 2011
- A British school where pupils speak 31 languages - Jun 09, 2012
- Anger management lessons for pupils at British school - Jan 24, 2012
- Kashmir's literacy rate rises by 10 percent in 10 years - Mar 27, 2011
- Indian school teacher set for US space programme (With Images) - Feb 01, 2012
- British schools send off 900 violent pupils each day - Jul 30, 2011
- School for pregnant teenagers being planned in New York - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: april 24, benefits of laughter, building trust, child minding, couriermail, education queensland, education standards, eq, last monday, laughter therapy, professional development activities, pupil, queensland state, reducing stress, s education, scarce funds, staff members, state government, stress levels, therapy session