Oz school bans kids from running around during recessNovember 29th, 2010 - 6:31 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Nov 29 (ANI): A school in Australia has banned its students from running around during playtime, as the playground is too crowded.
Armadale Primary has also introduced two lunch times and is taking students to the local park to avoid mayhem in the schoolyard.
School council president Bruce Hemingway said the action was taken, as space had been lost to a 2.5 million dollar Building the Education Revolution project.
But he said the Education Department had refused to give the growing school double-decker portable classrooms, which would free up more space.
“It’s appalling. You go to a school as a kid and you can’t run around,” the Daily Telegraph quoted him as saying.
Games like basketball and four-square are permitted in the playground, but the principal has banned playing chasey or running randomly.
Hemingway said that removing two existing portables, demolishing the old hall and replacing it with double-decker portables would provide more play space.
Parents Victoria spokeswoman Elaine Crowle said many inner city primary schools were pressed for space and BER projects had worsened the problem.
“It’s wonderful to have new facilities, but it’s important to have enough room for children to play,” she stated.
An Education Department spokesman said Armadale had been offered a two-classroom single-storey portable on the old hall site after completion of its BER multi-purpose hall.
Victorian Principals Association president Gabrielle Leigh said that it made more sense for Armadale to have a double-decker portable to free up space and maximise student safety. (ANI)
- Travel in high-speed double-decker from Bangalore to Chennai - Mar 14, 2012
- China to deploy more security guards at schools - Aug 17, 2012
- 'Court must control Badal's night stays in schools' - Jul 17, 2011
- Most Islamabad private schools have no playground - Apr 01, 2012
- London-style AC double-decker buses for Kolkata tourism - Oct 17, 2011
- India's first superfast double-decker train flagged off - Oct 01, 2011
- AC double-decker train from Jharkhand to start soon - Oct 22, 2010
- Replace tent classrooms with portable cabins: Court (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Students' death in roof collapse shocks Pakistani daily - May 10, 2012
- China bars teachers from using harsh words - Dec 13, 2011
- China deploys security guards in schools to avoid bloodbath repeat - Sep 01, 2010
- Improve quality of education: President (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- 95 percent schools lack RTE infrastructure - Apr 08, 2012
- 50 Indian double-decker buses to run on Bangladesh roads - May 07, 2012
- Ashok Leyland bags $23.3 million-worth Bangladesh order - May 25, 2011
Tags: association president, crowle, daily telegraph, department spokesman, education department, education revolution, gabrielle, hemingway, inner city, local park, lunch times, multi purpose hall, playtime, portable classrooms, principals association, recess, school bans, school council president, schoolyard, student safety